WHITE ROCK, SOUTH CAROLINA
1894 - 1926
In October of 1893 a group of People in the town of White Rock desired a church nearby and organized Mount Vernon Lutheran Church. Most of the members came from Mount Olivet Church, Spring Hill.
The church records report that these twenty-four were the original members: Mr. and Mrs. D. J. Dickert, Mr. and Mrs. John Derrick, Mr. and Mrs. J. J. Fulmer, R. L. Glodney, C. P. Howard, Mrs Caroline Richardson, Mr. and Mrs. D. A. Richardson, J. P. Richardson, Job Richardson, Mr. and Mrs. Jacob L. Richardson, Hattie O. Richardson, G. David Richardson, J. B. Shealy, Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Shealy, J. C. Shealy, L. P. Shealy, Mrs. Mahala Shealy, and G. D. Whites.
In 1894 the minutes of the Synod reported there were forty members at Mt. Vernon and the Synod minutes list these facts: 40 communicants received, two by adult baptism, two by infant baptism, five by confirmation, thirty one by certificate, a Sunday school of six teachers and officers, and thirty six scholars. Mount Vernon was received into the synod on March 26, 1894 and into the Bethel Pastorate on May 5, 1894.
This group used the one story schoolhouse at White Rock across the road from the site where the Church was being built to hold their meetings. At first the group was served by seminary students, primarily H. A. McCullough. The Rev. S. C. Ballentine came as pastor in 1894 to the Bethel pastorate which now consisted of Bethel, Mount Vernon and Mount Olivet. The property for the Church building was deeded by Congaree Construction Company to Mount Vernon and construction began in February 1896.
The building committee consisted of Pastor S. C. Ballentine, S. D. Shealy, J. C. Shealy, J. J. Fulmer and S. J. McCartha. The furniture was made by J. D. Wessinger. The pulpit was made of carved oak and much paneling was erected.
Mount Vernon Church was dedicated on October 31, 1897 with Pastor Ballentine and the Church council conducting the service, assisted by Rev. Jacob Wike and W. A. Deaton who preached the sermon.
The pastorate consisted of three churches (Bethel, Mount Olivet and Mount Vernon) and in 1901 Mount Hermon, at Peak was admitted to the pastorate having been on a supply basis since 1896.
The women's Aid, Home and Foreign Missionary Society was organized on October 13, 1895 with eight members, Mrs. Emma J. Ballentine was elected President.
It was not until 1915 when Rev. H. Smith Petrea became pastor that he discovered the lack of a cornerstone. The cornerstone committee included J. B. Shealy, J. P. Richardson, Levi Metts, G. D. Whites and E. U. Shealy. The cornerstone was laid on October 31, 1915 with the Rev. S. C. Ballentine preaching.
In 1927 Lexington Water Power Company proposed to build a dam on the Saluda River creating a large lake. This lake would cover a large area forcing some people to move from their homes or community. Bethel Lutheran Church would have to move as water would cover her entire property. Bethel members were considering a new location but at the suggestion of Rev. Dr. Walton H. Greever, of the Southern Seminary faculty, the Bethel and Mount Vernon councils met to consider a consolidation.
On July 22, 1928 the Joint Council adopted the following resolution, "that the two congregations, Bethel Evangelical Lutheran Church and Mount Vernon Evangelical Lutheran Church, take all necessary steps at the earliest time possible to merge themselves together into one congregation, to be known as Bethel Evangelical Lutheran Church; the church building to be located at White Rock, South Carolina, it being understood and agreed that in such merger all property now belonging to the two congregations would become the property of the merged congregation, and further the members of the joint council as now constituted be continued in office as the council of the merged congregation for at least one year, pending adoption of new constitution and other steps in reorganization".
In November, 1929 at the time of consolidation there were 18 members of Mount Vernon Women's group, all of whom were life members. This was the first group in the state to have all their members made life members.
At the time of consolidation Mount Vernon had 120 members and Bethel had 265 members. An individual list of the Mount Vernon members was not available to us for this short history but we are including the combined list of Mount Vernon Lutheran Church and Bethel Lutheran Church from the time of consolidation in 1929.
THE FOLLOWING WERE MEMBERS OF THE TWO CONGREGATIONS AT THE TIME OF CONSOLIDATION:
J. P. Addy, Mrs. Bessie Addy, Leo Addy, Lewis Addy, Mrs. Oscar Amick.
Mrs. Tommie Bickley, Lula Bickley, Pearl Bickley, Hollis Bickley, Wilbur Bickley, Mrs. Wilbur Bickley, Mrs. Kate Bickley, Morgan Bickley, Mrs. Morgan Bickley, Julius Bickley, Mrs. Julius Bickley, Drayton Ballentine, E. A. Ballentine, Mrs. E. A. Ballentine, Verta Ballentine, Blanche Ballentine, Rudolph Ballentine, Eugene Ballentine, Bonnie Ballentine, Lonnie Ballentine, Mrs. Lonnie Ballentine, Oland Ballentine, Mrs. Sam Boozer, Louise Bouknight, John W. Bouknight, Mrs. John W. Bouknight, Vera Bouknight, Rulie Bouknight, Drury L. Bouknight, George Bouknight, Mrs. George Bouknight, Rosaline Bouknight, Caro Bouknight, J. B. Bouknight, Mrs. J. B. Bouknight, Curtis Bouknight, Miller Bouknight, Ryan Bouknight.
Willie Coogler, Estelle Coogler, Melvin Cummerlander, Mrs. J. M. Clark.
Mrs. Amanda Derrick, Thad Derrick, Mrs. Thad Derrick, Walter Derrick, Ada Derrick, Kathlene Derrick, B. F. Derrick, Mrs. B. F. Derrick, Gladys Derrick, Charles Derrick, Lillian Derrick, Lucile Derrick, Elmer Derrick, Mrs. Elmer Derrick, Hattie May Derrick, Leroy Derrick, Mrs. Leroy Derrick, Mrs. Jane Derrick, Eusebius Derrick, Mrs. Eusebius Derrick, James Barret Derrick, Clarence Derrick, Willie H. Derrick, Bessie Derrick, George Derrick, Mrs. George Derrick, Curtis Derrick, Charles Derrick, Oscar Derrick, Delmar Derrick, J. D. Derrick, Sr., Mrs. J. D. Derrick, Sr., Carl Derrick, John Derrick, Jr., Mrs. D.J. Dickert.
Mrs. Sallie Epting, John Epting, Earl Epting, Mary Epting, Vera Epting, Ernestine Epting, Bessie Lee Epting, James Epting, Sarah Epting, Mrs. Herbert Eargle, Mrs. D. R. Eargle, W. R. Eleazer, Mrs. W. R. Eleazer, Cleo Eleazer, George Eleazer, Mrs. George Eleazer, Clara Belle Eleazer, Beulah Eleazer.
J. J. Fulmer, Mrs. J. J. Fulmer, Mrs. Percy Foxworth.
Mrs. Bessie Guise, Colie Guise, Albert Parker Guise.
G. J. Hiller, Mrs. G. J. Hiller, Robert Miller, Heyward Miller, Travis Hiller, Ben Hiller, Mrs. Maggie Harman, Leon Harman, Mrs. Leon Harman, Mrs. J. B. Haigler, Frank Haltiwanger, Mrs. Frank Haltiwanger, Mrs. Della Haltiwanger, Haywood Haltiwanger, C. E. Hotinger, Mrs. C. E. Hotinger, Robert Hotinger, Mrs. Emma Huffard.
Carl Jacobs, Eunice Jacobs.
Mrs. Mattie Kleckly, Leola Kleckly, Claude Kleckly, Mrs. Walter Keith, Mrs. Frank Keith, Vonreagh Keith.
Frank Lever, Mrs. Frank Lever, Mrs. George Little, Mrs. Preston Lindler, Robert Lindler, Govan Lowman, Mrs. Govan Lowman, Lillie Ann Lowman, S. E. Lowman, Mrs. S. E. Lowman, Dr. Wells Lowman, J. B. Lowman, Mrs. J. B. Lowman, G. P. Lowman, Mrs. G. P. Lowman, Walter Lowman, Clyde Lowman, Pauline Lowman, Lois Lowman, Joseph Lowman, Mrs. Joseph Lowman, John Lowman, Mrs. John Lowman, Carl Lowman, Paul Lowman, Lessie Lowman, Fannie Belle Lowman, Josephus Lowman, William Lowman, Mrs. William Lowman.
J. U. Meetze, Mrs. J. U. Meetze, W. W. Meetze, W. R. Meetze, Mrs. W. R. Meetze, Iceline Meetze, Walter Meetze, Marie Meetze, Clifford Meetze, Jacob Meetze, Oliver Meetze, Seber Meetze, Mrs. Seber Meetze, Calvin Meetze, Mrs. Calvin Meetze, Herbert Meetze, David Meetze, Charles Meetze, Mrs. Charles Meetze, Sam Meetze, Irvin Meetze, Willie Meetze, Jacob J. Meetze, Mrs. Jacob J. Meetze, Willie Leon Meetze, Estelle Meetze, Luther Meetze, Mrs. Luther Meetze, Esther Redora Meetze, Noah Monts, Mrs. Noah Monts, Bessie Monts, James Monts, Mrs. James Monts, Samuel Monts, Mrs. Samuel Monts, George Monts, Mrs. George Monts, Sidney Monts, Arthur Monts, Mrs. Arthur Monts, J. C. Monts, Claude Monts, Julia Monts, William McCartha, Mrs. William McCartha, Arthur McCartha, Mrs. Arthur McCartha, Murray McCartha, John McCartha, Mrs. John McCartha, Heber McCartha, Mrs. Heber McCartha, Ernest McCartha, Mrs. Ernest McCartha, Carl McCartha, Ethel McCartha, Hugh McCartha, Walter McCartha, Mrs. Walter McCartha, Marie McCartha, Raymond McCartha, Leon McCartha, Silas McCartha, Jessie McCartha, Harry McCartha, Bessie Maxwell, Mrs. Olive Moore.Mrs. Chas. Onley.
Mrs. Thomas Quattlebaum.
Eddie Riddle, Mrs. Eddie Riddle, John Riddle, Mrs. John Riddle, Lucile Riddle, Fannie Riddle, Edna Riddle, Ernestine Riddle, George Riddle, J. P. Richardson, Mrs. J. P. Richardson, Julia Richardson, Harvey Richardson, Lucy Delle Richardson, Alonzo Richardson, Perry E. Richardson, Mrs. Perry E. Richardson, Jacob L. Richardson, Willie Richardson, Mrs. Willie Richardson, Henry Richardson, Jacob Richardson, Berley Richardson, Mrs. Berley Richardson, Ruth Richardson, Robert Richardson, Forrest Richardson, Clyde Richardson, E. T. Rauch, Mrs. E. T. Rauch, Mary Rauch, Rachel Rauch, Cummings Rauch, Thomas Rauch, Jr.
Mrs. Houck Sandel, J. B. Shealy, H. L. Shealy, Callie Shealy, E. U. Shealy, Mrs. E. U. Shealy, J. E. Shealy, Ward Shealy, Darwin Shealy, Elizabeth Shealy, W. Brodie Shealy, F. C. Shealy, Mrs. F. C. Shealy, R. B. Shealy, Mrs. R. B. Shealy, Charles Shealy, Robert Shealy, Lucy Shealy, G. J. Shealy, Mrs. G. J. Shealy, Ruth'Shealy, Ehrlene Shealy, Gurnelle Shealy, OIlie Shealy, Mrs. OIlie Shealy, Estelle Shealy, Olla Shealy, Noah Shealy, Mrs. Sallie Shealy, Curtis Shealy, Eula Lee Shealy, Ellis Sheely, Frank Sheely, Mrs. Frank Sheely, Floyd Sheely, Grady Sheely, Roselle Sheely, Sarah May Sheely, Caroline Sheely, Ross Sheely, Mrs. Ross Sheely, Harold Sheely, Charles Smith, Herbert Smith, Mrs. Herbert Smith, Willie Smith, Reba Smith, Jake Swygert, Mrs. Jake Swygert, Themas Swygert, Mrs. Themas Swygert, William Swygert, Cecil Swygert, Eusebius Swygert, Mrs. Eusebius Swygert, Belton Swygert, Lula May Swygert, J. L. Sites, Mrs. J. L. Sites, Earl Sites, Perry Slice, Mrs. Perry Slice, Evelyn Slice.
Mrs. Fannie Wessinger, F. D. Wessinger, James Wessinger, Mildred Wessinger, Hall Bradley Wessinger, J. W. Warner, Mrs. J. W. Warner, Geo. D. Whites, Mrs. Geo. D. Whites, Perry Whites, Samuel Whites, Julius Whites, Minnie Whites, Mrs. Lonnie Wessinger,Mrs. Herbert Younginer, and John Yeany.
See the books listed below for more history on Mount Vernon Lutheran Church.
The information in this history is from these books: "A HISTORY OF BETHEL EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN CHURCH", White Rock, South Carolina" compiled by Guy C. Cruse in 1962 and "A HISTORY OF BETHEL EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN CHURCH" White Rock, South Carolina, compiled by Guy C. Cruse in 1987.
Posted 18 December 2004
Although every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the information on this web site, all transcriptions are subject to human error, and researchers should always check the original source of any list. All material contained on these pages is furnished for the free use of those researching their family origins. Any commercial use, without the consent of the host/author of these pages is prohibited.
Copyright is retained by the author/contributor of the material and publication to any medium, electronic or non-electronic, without consent is in violation of the law.
All persons contributing material for posting on these pages do so in recognition of its free, non-commercial distribution, and are responsible for assuring that no copyright is violated by submission.
©1985-2018 Dutch Fork Chapter of SCGS, Inc.
Send comments and corrections to: David
Last updated 24 November 2018
This site includes graphics from:
JOD's Genealogy Graphics, ©2001 J. O'Donovan
©1998-2010 Rhio's Sampler, Rhio Gillis
TheOldenTimes.com, © 2000-2007