St. Peter's Lutheran Church (Piney Woods)
Use these records in your research
but, please, do not publish without permission of the family or the
St. Peter (Piney Woods) Lutheran Church will.
celebrate its bicentennial in 1994. The actual movement for a church in
the Piney Woods community began in 1793. Peter Schumpert, Ulrich Mayer,
Thomas Frick and others were walking home from St. John's Church, Pomaria
and began to discuss the organization of a church nearer their homes.
Peter Schumpert started searching for a piece of land. He and Ulrich Mayer
discovered and surveyed the parcel which the present church now occupies.
The survey was made immediately for a title and a grant was obtained
on May 5, 1794. A church edifice was built during the summer. The
congregation was organized and incorporated by an act of the Legislature
December 17, 1794. Rev. Joseph Wallern organized the church and served as
its first pastor until 1809.
St. Peter's was given its name in honor of Peter Schumpert who first
proposed a church in his community and took the initiative in all
endeavors. His efforts helped obtain the land and see that a church was
built. He worked diligently and in all old records his name appears first.
The first church stood where the present cemetery now exists. It was built
of logs. The timbers were cut on the church laud. The dimensions were said
to have been 25 feet by 35 feet. The pews were split logs with peg legs.
The first church served the congregation for forty years.
The second church, 35 by 45 feet was built of sawed lumber in 1854. It was
a two story structure. The building had three doors, one on each side and
one at the west end. The men entered from the right of the goblet shaped
pulpit, and the women from the left. Each gender sat on its side of the
church. Slaves entered from the ends and were seated In the gallery.
This church had several renovations and an enlargement. On June 1, 1924
the congregation began investigating new building operations. On July 2,
1925 a contract was given to Mr. J. E. Cannon and Mr. D. A. Cannon,
contractors, for $7.475. Much work, and timber was donated. The ground
breaking was on July 16th and the first brick laid on August 3rd. The
corner stone was placed at a service on August 23rd, with construction
completed and opening services held on August 15, 1926. The cost is
estimated at $40,000.
THE PASTORS OF ST. PETER'S
1. Rev. Frederick Joseph Wallern (1794-1899)
2. Rev. Harman Winkhouseb (1809-1918)
3. Rev. Michael Rauch (1819-1833)
4. Rev, Godfrey Dreher (1833-1852)
5. Rev. Daniel Efird (1853-1882)
6. Rev. Jacob Killian Efird (1883-1893)
7. Rev. J. G. Schaid (1893-1895)
8. Rev. A. R. Beck (1895-1902)
Rev. E. L. Lybrand served at intervals during vacancies
9. Rev. Benjamin David Wessinger (1903-1904)
10. Rev. Enoch J. Sox (1905-1915)
11. Rev. Martin Luther Pence (1915-1918)
.12. Rev. Brady L. Stroup (1919-1921)
13. Rev. Wilbur H. Riser (1921-1923)
14. Rev. David L. Miller (1924-1934)
15. Rev. Samuel J. Wessinger (1934-1940)
16. Rev. H. G. C. Park (1941-1947)
17. Rev. John I). Zeigler (1949-1982)
18. Rev. Boyd Cook (1982-1987)
19. Rev. Dr. Robert Thompson, Jr. (1988-????)
Submitted by: Jennie Frick Cannon - Member of St. Peter's Lutheran Church,
(Published in the Dutch Fork Digest Newsletter, Vol. VII, No. 2,
Posted 8 October 2004
Although every effort has been made to ensure
the accuracy and reliability of the information on this web site, all
transcriptions are subject to human error, and researchers should always
check the original source of any list. All material contained on these
pages is furnished for the free use of those researching their family
origins. Any commercial use, without the consent of the host/author of
these pages is prohibited.
Copyright is retained by the author/contributor of the material and
publication to any medium, electronic or non-electronic, without consent
is in violation of the law.
All persons contributing material for posting on these pages do so in
recognition of its free, non-commercial distribution, and are
responsible for assuring that no copyright is violated by submission.
©1985-2018 Dutch Fork Chapter of SCGS, Inc.
Send comments and corrections to: David
Last updated 24 November 2018
This site includes graphics from:
Genealogy Graphics, ©2001 J. O'Donovan
©1998-2010 Rhio's Sampler, Rhio Gillis