Daniel DeWalt Family
Before coming to S.C., Daniel DeWalt and wife, Susannah Krebil, lived in York Co., PA (C. M. J. McCrary & F. A. Johnston, "The Dewalt Family, Connections & Traditions"), Susannah Krebil (Graybil) was the dau. of Jacob Krebil and wife, Catherine. In 1769, Daniel Dewalt bought land in S.C. from John Lavingston (Charleston Deeds 03, p. 173). This tract was the 350 acre bounty grant of Barnard Lavingston on Cannons Cr. near Prosperity, S.C. The deed states that Daniel DeWalt was from Frederick Co., MD.
Daniel DeWalt made will 17 Oct 1776, proven 2 Sept 1788 (Nby Wills A43) naming wife, Susanna; sons: Daniel and Peter; and daughters: Magdalena, Catherina, Susana, and Ruth, Daniel DeWalt died before 1788. His widow remarried and, as Susanna Windle, on 14 Jan 1788 sold 116 acres of land to George Gray, Jr. (Nby Deeds A428). This land was part of the 350 acre tract bought by her first husband in 1769. Susannah Wendel made will 22 Sept 1805, proven 4 Jan 1808 (Nby Wills E
35), naming son: Daniel DeWalt, and daughters: Mary Koon, Susannah Boils, & Ruth Hampton.
I. Daniel DeWalt, Jr., d. 1806. Daniel DeWalt, Jr. is said to have married Nancy Gray, d/o George Gary, Sr. but she is not mentioned in his will. Daniel DeWalt, Jr., made will 6 Apr 1805, proven 4 Feb 1806 (Nby Wills E80).
A. Daniel DeWalt, III, b. 13 Aug 1792, d. 6 Nov 1853, m. Sara Waters, b. 12 March 1793, d. 7 Sept 1867, Washington Co., TX, d/o Philemon "Ferry Phil" Waters & Ruth Llewellyn.
1. Ker Boyce DeWalt, b. 1819, m. Mary Magdalena Hair, d/o Col. John Hair and Rachel Rebecca Black.
2. Thomas Waters DeWalt, d. Texas, soldier in the Mexican War, m. Charlotte Brown. They moved to TX.
3. Col. Napoleon Boneparte DeWalt, d. Richmond, VA (CSA), m. Sarah Caroline Harris.
4. Nancy DeWalt, m. James K. Adams, d. CSA. Lived in Mobile, AL.
5. Caroline DeWalt, b. about 1831, m. John W. Barrett. Lived in Mobile, AL.
6. Sarah Elizabeth DeWalt, b. about 1833, m. Dr. Henry William Waters. Lived in TX.
7. Harriet Herbert DeWalt, b. about 1835, m. William C. Wilson, b. abt 1829, s/o James Wilson & wife Mary.
8. Laura Eliza DeWalt, b. about 1837, d. Feb 1920, m. 10 June 1856, Dr. Jacob S. West of Edgefield Co., SC. Lived in San Angelo, TX.
9. Amelia DeWalt, b. about 1838. Did not marry.
10. Liberty Victoria DeWalt, b. 2 March 1834 (1841?), d. 28 May 1901, TX, m. O'Bryan Smith Hughes, b. 4 July 1840, d. 25 Feb 1911. Lived in Brenham, Washington Co., TX.
11. Catherine Rebecca DeWalt, b. about 1844, m. Dr. Fred H. Albert of Houston,
12. Daniel DeWalt, d. as an infant.
13. David DeWalt, d. young.
B. David DeWalt, b. 11 Sept 1794, d. 28 Oct 1834, m. Rebecca Gray, b. 23 Nov 1802, d. 6 Apr 1880, d/o George Gray, Jr. & Catherine DeWalt. David DeWalt served in War of 1812.
1. George Gray DeWalt, b. 1 March 1819, d. 23 Jnly 1900, m. 15 Dec 1872, Elizabeth Jane (Lizzie) Caldwell, b. 14 Aug 1839, d. 6 May 1916. Both bur. Prosperity Cemetery.
2. Almira DeWalt, b. 28 Aug 1821, d. 3 Dec 1870, m. 7 Aug 1844 (as second wife) Job A. Johnson, b. 7 June 1793, d. 8 Apr 1862. Bur. Johnstone Cemetery.
3. Daniel DeWalt, b. 8 Jan 1824, d. 16 Feb 1859, TN, m. Jamima Livingston, b. 15 March 1815, d. 22 Dec 1878, d/o Martin L. Livingston.
4. Mariah Catherine DeWalt, b. 1 March 1826, d. 8 Nov 1901. Did not marry. Bur. DeWaltGrayGallman Cemetery.
5. Rebecca Adaline DeWalt, b. 30 Dec 1827, d. 28 Aug 1905. Did not marry. Bur. DeWaltGrayGallman Cemetery.
6. Caroline Nancy DeWalt, b. 7 July 1829, d. 9 Nov 1861, m. (as second wife) Dr. Orlando Benedict Mayer, Sr., b. 24 Feb 1818, d. 16 July 1891, s/o Maj. Adam Mayer & Mary Magdelin Counts. Both bur. Rosemont Cemetery, Newberry.
7. David DeWalt, b. 28 Aug 1831, d. 4 Feb 1832.
8. Eugene DeWalt, b. 20 Dec 1832, d. 28 Dec 1832.
9. Eliza Susan DeWalt, b. 20 July 1834, d. 10 Feb 1873, m. (his third wife) Thomas Ellisor.
C. Rebecca Dewalt, m. Maj. Smyley and moved to Dallas Co., AL.
1. John DeWalt Smyley.
2. Margaret Ann Smyley.
3. Samuel Smyley.
4. Dan Caldwell Smyley.
5. Nancy Caroline Smyley.
6. Susannah Smyley.
7. Adelina Rebecca Smyley.
8. James John Smyley.
II. Peter DeWalt, d. 1789. Did not marry. Peter Dewalt made will 21 Feb 1789, proven 2 March 1789 (Nby Wills A55) naming Brotherinlaw, George Gray; mother, & 4 sisters; Mary, Catherine, Susanna, and Ruth.
III. Mary Magdalena DeWalt, m. Nicholas Koon, b. about 1752, d. Dec 1831, s/o Benedict Kuhn Moved to Rutherford Co., N.C.
IV. Catherine DeWalt, b. 8 Oct 1764, d. 22 Apr 1848, m. George Gray, Jr., b. 16 Apr 1756, d. 7 Jan 1826, s/o George Gray, Sr. & Eve Margaret Piester.
V. Susanna DeWalt, m. __ Boyles.
VI. Ruth DeWalt, m ____ Hampton
Updated 28 December 2000