THE EPTING FAMILY
The Epting family of the SC Dutch Fork are descendants of Johann Adam Hepding and Christina Barbara Osiander who came to SC from the Duchy of Wrttemberg. Johann Adam Hepding (Day laborer) was born 8 March 1720 in Rtenberg, now Aichhalden, Baden-Wrttemberg, Germany, the son of Hans Cunrad Hepding (Farmer) and Maria Catharina Beck. He married on 2 September 1738 Christina Barbara Osiander who was born 14 January 1721 in Rtenberg, the daughter of Lukas Daniel Osiander and Agatha Lhrer.
The family of John Adam Epting came to SC in 1749 on the Griffin. The petition for bounty of John Adam Epting, dated 19 Oct 1749, indicates that the Eptings were among "Palatines" lately brought by Jacob Ramensperger (Council Journal 17-2:663 and 671). John Adam Epting received a 250 acre bounty grant representing a family of five. He died before 1768 and his land was inherited by the eldest son, Jacob Epting (Memorial of Jacob Epting, 1768, Memorials 9-325). Taxes on the property were paid the same year by widow, Barbara Epting (1768 Quit Rents). This land is the location of Epting cemetery #2 at Pomaria, SC.
The bounty grant of John Adam Epting was near St. John's Lutheran Church, Pomaria, S.C. In 1763, John Adam Epting and Peter Dickert obtained the 100 acre land grant for St. John's Lutheran Church (Pomaria, SC).
Following the Revolutionary War, Barbara Epting received compensation in 1786 for 3 barrels of flour that she had provided for the Militia (Stub Indent 3274).
This family has been described in "A History of the Epting and Epton Families of South Carolina" by Theodore Epton (1979). Jean Epting Blackmon has recently published a detailed study of the historical records of this family ("The Eptings, A Documented History" published in 2003).
FAMILY OF JOHANN ADAM HEPDING AND CHRISTINA BARBARA OSIANDER
- I. Catherine Epting, born 13 September 1739, died 1816 in SC, said to have married (1) Jacob Folk, Sr. She married (2) Peter Stockman, son of Johann Engelberth Stockmann and Anna Maria Schmidt.
- II. Johann George Epting, born 8 May 1742, died 18 May 1747 of Small pox.
- III. Johann Jacob Epting, born 28 Apr 1745, died about 1800 in SC, believed to have married Barbara Geiselhart, daughter of Johannes Geiselhardt and Anna Maria Herrmann.
- IV. Anna Maria Epting. Said to have married John Wendel Shealy, son of Johannes Schiele and Maria Margaretha Haupter Herrmann. There is no record of the birth of Anna Maria Epting in the Rtenberg Church book.
- V. Matthias Epting, born 29 May 1748, died young.
- VI. Adam Frederick Epting, born about 1750 in S.C., died in 1780, married (as second husband) Anna Christina Setzler Black, daughter of John Adam Setzler, Sr. (Gunsmith) and Anna Christina Mller.
- VII. John Epting, born about 1755, died before 1810, is said to have married Anna Lohner, daughter of Melchior Lohner.
- VIII. Margaret Epting, died about 1790, said to have married (as first wife) Francis Summer, son of Hans Adam Summer Sr. and Anna Maria Yost.
Catherine Epting, born 13 September 1739 in Germany, is said to have married (1) Jacob Folk, Sr. who died 20 June 1777. The will of Jacob Folk is dated 6 July 1775 (Charleston Wills TT-377). After the death of Jacob Folk, Catherine Epting Folk, married (2) Peter Stockman (Smith to Wheeler, Newberry Deeds O-52). She died in 1816.
Children by Jacob Folk:
- A. John Benedict Folk, died 1 December 1779 at Savannah, GA during the Rev. War.
- B. George Folk, said to have been killed by a falling tree. Not mentioned in will of Jacob Folk, Sr.
- C. Eve Catherine Folk, died prior to 1821, did not marry.
- D. Elizabeth Folk married Jacob Cromer, Jr., son of Jacob Cromer, Sr. and Elizabeth Yost.
- E. John Adam Folk, born 7 March 1770, died 21 December 1844, married (1) 23 October 1798, Eve Margaret Dickert, daughter of Michael Dickert, Sr. and Margaret Seigler Cromer; married (2) Mary Elizabeth Parker. Buried Folk-Busby-Cannon Cemetery, Pomaria, S.C.
- F. Jacob Folk, born 24 December 1772, died 10 November 1845, married Mary Elizabeth Howard and moved to Colleton Co., S.C.
Children by Peter Stockman:
- G. Anna Maria Stockman, born 7 April 1776, married Peter Dickert, son of Michael Dickert, Sr. and Margaret Seigler Cromer.
- H. John George Stockman, born about 1783, married (1) Hannah Dickert, born about 1782, daughter of Michael Dickert, Jr. and Isabella (Sybella) Sligh; married (2) Rebecca Pow. Moved with second wife to Perry Co., AL.
JOHANN JACOB EPTING
Johann Jacob Epting was born 28 Apr 1745 in Germany and died in SC about the year 1800. He is believed to have married Barbara Geiselhart, daughter of Johannes Geiselhardt and Anna Maria Herrmann. In 1798 Jacob Epting sold a 100 acre tract on a branch of Crims Cr. to George Stoudemire (B. H. Holcomb, Memorialized Records of Lexington District, SC, 1814-1825). This land was the 100 acre land grant of 1774 to Barbara Geiselhart (Kiselhot in Colonial SC record).
Jacob Epting received compensation on 10 July 1786 for Provisions for the Militia during the
Revolutionary War (Stub Indents 3254). In 1791, he obtained a 780 acre grant on waters of
Camping Cr. Parts of this land were sold in 1837 and 1840 by his son, George Epting, Sr.
(Lexington Deeds M-148 and 543).
- A. Capt. John Epting, born 2 June 1778, died 1856, married (1) 4 January 1802, Eve Seigler, died 7 May 1803, daughter of John Seigler, Sr. and wife, Barbara; married (2) 30 December 1806, Elizabeth Wertz, born 11 February 1786, died 12 March 1847, daughter of Capt. John Wertz and Ann Catherine Hair. Eve Seigler is buried in Epting Cemetery #2 near Pomaria, SC.
Children of John Epting and Elizabeth Wertz:
- 1. Mary Catherine Epting, born/died 19 April 1808.
- 2. Capt. John George Epting, born 3 June 1809, died 26 October 1894, married Elizabeth (Betsy) Chapman, born 29 April 1811, died 4 April 1884, daughter of John Chapman and wife, Anna Mary. Buried in Epting Cemetery #3 near Little Mountain, SC.
- a. George Adam Epting, born 5 April 1833, died 25 November 1862 (CSA). Buried Epting Cemetery #3.
- b. Polly Ann Priscilla Epting, born 21 September 1834, married John W. Swittenberg, born about 1826, son of William Swittenberg and Mary M. (Molly) Fulmer.
- c. Mary Elizabeth Epting, born 11 October 1836, died 8 October 1858, married 17 December 1857, Asa Melanchthon (Lang) Sease, born 16 September 1833, died 22 January 1912, son of John Sease and Christena Bearbug Lowman.
- d. Martha Delilah Epting, born 13 September 1838, married 11 February 1858, George Walter Summer, born about 1838, died 13 July 1862 (CSA), son of John Summer and Cynthia Ray.
- e. Kissiah Elizabeth Epting, born 7 January 1840, died 27 August 1915, married 9 February 1860, Wilson Howard Dickert, born 11 November 1838, died 5 December 1915, son of David Daniel Dickert and Sarah Suber.
- f. Angela Catherine Epting, born 9 December 1841/1842, married 24 January 1861, Andrew Noah Sease, born 16 March 1840, died 20 May 1920, son of John Sease and Christena Bearberg Lowman. Both buried Mt. Horeb Lutheran Church cemetery, Chapin, SC.
- g. Narcissa Comings Epting, born 21 April 1843, married Adam Hipp, born 1843, son of George John Adam Hipp and Eve Setzler.
- h. Missouri Caroline Epting, born 13 December 1844, died 10 February 1899, married (as first wife) Julius Preston Derrrick, born 18 February 1848, died 12 November 1919, son of Jacob John Derrick and Martha C. Kesler. Both buried Holy Trinity Lutheran Church cemetery.
- i. Frances Sarah Epting, born 15 September 1846, died 7 July 1886. Did not marry. Buried in Epting cemetery #3.
- j. Dorothy Ella Epting, born 2 November 1850, died 27 June 1941, married David Boland, born 30 August 1849, died 8 November 1928. Both buried at Holy Trinity Lutheran Church cemetery.
- k. Sarah Jane Epting, born 9 May 1852, died 27 January 1894. Did not marry. Buried in Epting Cemetery #3.
- l. Dr. John Chapman Epting, born 15 April 1854, died 13 June 1944, married Martha A. Sease, born 18 August 1854, died 12 September 1936. Both buried in Epting cemetery #3.
- 3. Eve Christina Epting, born 31 January 1811.
- 4. George Henry Epting, born/died 18 February 1813.
- 5. Rev. John Epting, born 7 May 1814, died 28 January 1881, married Margaret Summer, born 9 November 1817, died 23 November 1912, daughter of George Adam Summer, Jr. and Elizabeth Penny. Rev. John Epting became a Methodist Minister. They are buried at Capers Chapel Methodist Church cemetery near Peak, SC.
- a. Mary Jane Epting, born 10 December 1837, died 31 August 1919, married (1) Frederick Ballentine, born about 1833, son of James Ballentine and Mary Catherine Shealy; married (2) (his second wife) George H. Dickert, born 6 October 1819, died 19 May 1879, son of Peter Dickert, Jr. and Anna Maria Stockman.
- b. James Appleton Epting, born 5 April 1840, died 4 October 1854. Buried in Epting Cemetery #2.
- c. John Melvin Epting, born 5 April 1842, died 7 January 1864 at Point Lookout, MD (CSA).
- d. Elizabeth P. Epting, born about 1845.
- e. Susanna C. Epting, born 7 July 1848, died 26 October 1909. Did not marry. Buried in Capers Chapel Methodist Church cemetery.
- f. Rebecca Epting, born about 1851.
- g. W. H. Bascom Epting, born 31 July 1853, died 24 September 1854. Buried in Epting cemetery #2.
- h. Olivia Epting, born 1855/6.
- i. Lillus Rebecca Epting, born 15 February 1857, died 12 March 1881. Did not marry. Buried Capers Chapel Methodist Church cemetery.
- j. George Marion Boyd Epting, born 1858, died 6 December 1912.
- 6. Anna Epting, born 1 June 1816, died 26 August 1864, married George Adam Epting, born 12 January 1812, died 15 November 1867, son of John Epting and Katherine Koon. Buried in Beth Eden Lutheran Church Cemetery.
- 7. Catherine Caroline Epting, born 25 February 1818, died 10 September 1874, married Henry Summer, born 4 October 1815, died 25 June 1892, son of George Adam Summer, Jr. and Elizabeth Penny.
- 8. Jacob (Jake) Epting, born 4 January 1820, died 21 May 1889, married 30 April 1841, Dorothy (Dolly) C. Fulmer, born 29 September 1821, died 25 February 1907, daughter of John Adam Fulmer and Sarah (Sally) Ridlehuber. Both buried in Epting-Stoudemayer Cemetery.
- a. Frances Rebecca Epting, born 25 November 1843, died 5 September 1931, married Pleasant Hilliard Shealy, born 27 April 1844, died 19 March 1933. Both buried St. John's Lutheran Church cemetery, Pomaria, SC.
- b. Henry Harrison Epting, born 28 October 1845, died 27 May 1858. Buried Epting-Stoudemayer cemetery.
- c. Sarah Elizabeth Epting, born 8 July 1848, died 30 April 1925, married George Lindler.
- d. Mary Catherine Epting, born 2 October 1850, died 21 October 1854. Buried Epting-Stoudemayer cemetery.
- e. Martha Epting, born about 1853.
- f. Joicey Epting, born about 1854.
- g. Carson Epting, born about 1856.
- h. John Adam Walter Epting, born 5 March 1861, died 4 November 1862. Buried Epting-Stoudemayer cemetery.
- 9. Mary Eliza Epting, born 13 January 1822, died 5 October 1826.
- 10. Harrison (Hack) Ezra Epting, born 21 September 1826, married (1) Mirlsy J. Wilson, born 1833, daughter of James Wilson and Mary Summer. They moved to Anderson Co., SC, where he married (2) Mary Jane Hill.
- B. Jacob Epting. His funeral was held 6 September 1821 (Dreher's Journal). George Epting qualified 30 October 1821 as executor of the estate of Jacob Epting (B. H. Holcomb, "Memorialized Records of Lexington District, SC, 1814-1825).
- C. David Epting, born 1783, died 3 December 1849, married Elizabeth Rinehart, born 1791, died 11 September 1871, daughter of Matthias Rinehart and Ann Margaret Lagrone.
- 1. William Epting, born 26 September 1811, died 22 April 1892, married Rosa (Rosanah) Fulmer, born 28 September 1814, died 4 October 1911, daughter of Abram Fulmer and Elizabeth Summer.
- a. Drayton L. Epting, born 1 August 1834, died 6 February 1930, married Kessiah B. (Kizzie) Sulton, born 26 February 1832, died 14 January 1908, daughter of Michael Sulton and Elizabeth Bickley. Both buried in Macedonia Lutheran Church cemetery.
- b. Mahala C. Epting, born 24 August 1836, died 31 August 1929, married James Joshua Amick, born about 1831, son of John Jacob Amick and Gemima Long.
- c. Missouri Elizabeth Epting, born about 1839, married Joe Fulmer.
- d. David Wesley Epting, born 8 October 1842, died 6 July 1862. Buried in Macedonia Lutheran Church cemetery.
- e. Dianna E. Epting, born about 1846, married Garland Slice.
- f. David Leopard Epting, born 29 June 1847, died 15 August 1920, married (1) Sedelia R. Fulmer, born 24 October 1845, died 23 May 1854, daughter of John Frederick Fulmer and Elizabeth Wheeler; married (2) Elizabeth C. Derrick, born 11 March 1841, died 17 August 1921, daughter of Frederick Derrick and Nancy C. Shealy.
- g. James L. Epting, born about 1851.
- h. John J. Epting, born 25 April 1855, died 26 February 1926, married Marie B. ___, born 29 March 1902, died 5 November 1955. Both buried in Prosperity Cemetery.
- 2. Eliza Epting, born about 1812, died about 1832, married (as first wife) William Jacob Fulmer, born about 1805, died after 1870, son of Matthias Fulmer and Anna Christina Herring.
- 3. Mary Magdalene (Polly) Epting, born 20 December 1816, died 29 September 1897, married Andrew Rish, born 27 December 1807, died 1 January 1891, son of Andrew Rish and Rosanna Barbara Minick. Buried St. Peter's Piney Woods Church cemetery.
- 4. Elizabeth (Betsy) Epting, born 12 June 1818, died 16 September 1907, married 25 June 1840, Joseph Fulmer, born 8 October 1818, died 3 October 1883, son of Adam Fulmer and Mary Catherine Riester.
- 5. Mary Ann Epting, born 12 June 1820, died 5 October 1908, married 30 December 1854, Henry Luther Amick, born 1836, died 2 July 1863 (CSA), son of Daniel Amick and Menora Germima Russel Warner.
- 6. Kesiah Caroline Epting, born 3 September 1825, died 27 January 1888, married Solomon Amick, born about 1828, died 15 September 1863, Frederick, MD (CSA), son of John Adam Amick, Jr. and wife, Elizabeth (Betsy).
- 7. John A. Epting, born 1830, died 22 August 1858.
- D. George Epting, born 1790, died December 1846, married Mary Margaret Sligh, died August 1834, daughter of John Jacob Sligh, Jr. and Mary Magdalena Summer. John Epting was administrator of the estate of George Epting, Sr. (Newberry Estates Box 77, Pkg. 6).
Children by Mary Margaret Sligh:
- 1. Susannah M. Epting, born 18 April 1819, died 31 May 1893, married John Shealy, born 2 December 1813, died 30 August 1893, son of John Wendel Shealy and Mary Ann Werts. Buried Bethel Lutheran Church Cemetery, White Rock, SC.
- 2. Jacob Epting, born 9 May 1822, died 17 March 1905, married Mary Ann Catherine Chapman, born 27 December 1827, died 7 April 1915, daughter of Adam Chapman and Elizabeth Fulmer. Buried Holy at Trinity Lutheran Church cemetery.
- a. Mahala Corlean Epting, born 13 March 1847, died 27 February 1905, married 27 December 1872, Warren Preston George, born 3 June 1854, died 2 December 1907. Both buried Holy Trinity Lutheran Cemetery.
- b. Elizabeth Henrietta Epting, born about 1850, married ___ Shealy.
- c. Joseph Warren Epting, born 2 January 1854, died 8 August 1933, married (1) Mary Mahalie Stoudenmayer, born 18 November 1855, died 2 July 1880, daughter of George Stoudemayer and Leodicea Fulmer; married (2) Isadora Epting, born 9 February 1854, died 14 January 1907, daughter of Jacob Epting and Dorothy (Dolly) Fulmer.
- d. Emma Marilza Epting, born 27 September 1856, died 19 February 1938, married 14 February 1876, James Pinckney Summer, born 24 July 1855, died 15 November 1938, son of William Leroy Summer and Polly Farr. Both buried in Elmwood Cemetery, Ninety Six, SC.
- e. Mary Catherine Epting, born 23 February 1859, died 4 December 1952, married John Adam Hartman, born 17 March 1861, died 10 January 1928. Both buried Mt. Tabor Lutheran Church cemetery.
- 3. Mary Margaret Epting, born 18 April 1828, died 13 May 1911, married John G. Summer. Mary Margaret is buried at Capers Chapel Methodist Church cemetery.
- 4. Eveline (Eve) Epting, born about 1833.
ANNA MARIA EPTING
There is no baptismal record for Anna Maria Epting in the Rtenberg Church record but she is said to have been the wife of Johann Wendel Shealy, born 7 December 1746, Unterhausen, Wrttemberg, Germany, son of Johannes Schle and Maria Margaretha Haupter Herrmann. They lived at first in the area of Little Mountain, SC. After 1790 the family of John Wendel Shealy moved to the Camping Creek area of Lexington District.
- A. Mary Shealy, born about 1766, died about 1826, married (1) Christian Haupt, Sr., died 1790; married (2) John Vonderlinder.
- B. Adam Shealy, Sr., born about 1768, died after 1850, married Anna Mary Swittenberg, daughter of John Swittenberg.
- C. John Jacob Shealy, born 18 September 1770, died 18 May 1841, married Christener Counts, born 15 November 1771, died 22 February 1857.
- D. Martin Shealy, born about 1774, died about 1816, married 1802, Maria Christina Quattlebaum Barre, born about 1770, died about 1815, daughter of Matthias Quattlebaum and Rachel Derrin and widow of Jacob Barre, Sr.
- E. Matthias Shealy, born about 1776, died about 1845, wife named Margaret.
- F. John Windle Shealy, Jr., born about 1778, died about 1842, married Mary A. Werts, daughter of John Werts and Ann Catherine Hair.
- G. Henry Sheely, born about 1780, died February 1828, married Elizabeth Kinard, daughter of Michael Kinard, Sr. and Catherine Swittenberg.
- H. David Shealy, born about 1783, married Mary Elizabeth Werts, daughter of George Henry Werts and Molly Singley.
- I. Christina Shealy, died 17 November 1839, married Jacob Schumpert, son of John Peter Schumpert and Mary Elizabeth Shafer.
- J. Margaret Shealy, born about 1786, married (1) as second wife, John William Fulmer, died before 1814, son of Capt. Jacob Fulmer. She married (2) Theophilus Wilson of Fairfield Co.
- K. William Shealy, born about 1787, died 5 March 1868, married Mary Magdalena (Polly) Werts, born about 1787, died 1877, sister of Mary A. Werts who married John Windle Shealy, Jr.
- L. Catherine Shealy, married Matthias Quattlebaum, Jr., born about 1776, died about 1860, son of Matthias Quattlebaum and Rachel Derrin.
- M. Andrew Shealy, born 15 August 1794, died 4 August 1856, married Sarah Sawyer, born about 1790. They moved to Macon Co., GA.
ADAM FREDERICK EPTING
Adam Frederick Epting was born about 1752 in S.C. He is said to have been killed in battle during the Rev. War in the year 1780 (C. S. Peterson, "Known Military Dead During the American Rev. War 1775-1783"). He had served in 1779 as footman under Capt. John Adam Summer and Col. Roebuck (Accounts Audited 2233, Stub Indents 1787).
Adam Frederick Epting married Anna Christina Setzler Black, born 6 May 1751, daughter of
John Adam Setzler, Sr. (Gunsmith) and Anna Christina Mller. By her first husband she had a son, Henry Black/Schwartz (V. L. Fulmer, "Shealy Family", Pp. 14, 15).
The two 100 acre land grants of 1771 to Anna Christina Setzler came down to John Adam
Epting (Newberry Court of Common Pleas B-12, 1812). A 50 acre survey of 1770 to Adam
Frederick Epting on Cannons Cr. came down to Jacob Epting (Newberry Court of Common Pleas A-67, 1822).
- A. John Adam Epting, born 1773, died 1801, married Eve Christina Leitner, daughter of Major Michael Leitner and Maria Beard. After the death of John Adam Epting, the widow married Martin Koon, born 3 July 1784, son of John Henry Koon and Maria Ursula Shealy.
- 1. Elizabeth Epting, married Jacob Cloy who died about 1829.
- 2. Mary Epting.
- B. Jacob Epting, born 25 December 1775, died 11 July 1816, married Mary Cannon, born 15 November 1781, died 24 May 1848, daughter of David Cannon and Nancy Ann Johnson. Jacob Epting is buried in Bethlehem Church Cemetery, Pomaria, S.C.
- 1. Sarah Epting, born 4 April 1802, died 1882, married George Setzler, born 1790, died before 1840, son of George Adam Setzler and Anna Margaretta Leitner.
- 2. Adam Epting, born 4 March 1804, died 6 November 1871, married (1) 14 January 1823, Eve Koon, born 18 January 1806, died 23 November 1849, daughter of Henry Koon, Sr. and Katherine Epting; married (2) 18 February 1853, Harriet Swittenberg, born 14 February 1825, died 12 February 1896, daughter of John Swittenberg and Christina Kinard. Bur. Bethlehem Lutheran Church cemetery.
Children Eve Koon:
- a. Jacob Epting, born 18 October 1823, died 15 April 1893, married 28 January 1847, Elizabeth Vina Kinard, born 11 February 1830, died 12 May 1898, daughter of William Kinard and Christina Werts.
- b. Mary Ann Elizabeth Epting, born 11 November 1825, died 17 May 1837.
- c. Nancy Caroline Epting, born 7 December 1826, died 1827.
- d. Henry Richard Epting, born 6 October 1828, died 17 May 1848. Buried in Bethlehem Lutheran Church cemetery.
- e. John Adam Epting, born 28 October 1830, died 1865 (CSA), married Christiana Elizabeth Swittenberg, born 16 June 1835, died 10 December 1908. Moved to Smith Co., MISS.
- f. Jasper Newton Epting, born 19 April 1832, married Susannah Monts, born about 1835, daughter of William Monts and Mary A. Shealy. Moved to Orangeburg Co., SC.
- g. George Martin Epting, born 29 January 1835, died 17 August 1835.
- h. Mary (Polly) Catherine Epting, born 1 October 1836, died 30 October 1916, married 14 December 1854, Felix Daniel Graham, born 14 April 1836, died 25 December 1886. Both buried in the Graham Cemetery.
- i. Harriet Elizbeth Epting, born 20 September 1838, died 12 October 1839.
- j. Sally Epting, born 12 November 1839, died 8 October 1841.
- k. William David Epting, born 19 May 1841, died 29 May 1862.
- l. Samuel Adam Epting, born 18 July 1844, died 19 April 1879, married 20 December 1866, Maryan E. Derrick, born 2 May 1851, died 11 May 1876. Both buried in Bethlehem Lutheran Church cemetery.
- m. Thomas Luther Epting, born 26 April 1846, died 18 February 1930, married (1) 26 November 1866 (in MISS), Sarah Elizabeth Kinard, born 23 November 1847, died 8 December 1887 (Hill Co., TX), married (2) 14 January 1890, Gussie Jean Kinard (sister of first wife), died 4 September 1914. All three believed buried in the Vaughan Cemetery, Hill Co., TX.
- n. Levy Capers Epting, born 14 October 1847, died 2 October 1848. Buried Bethlehem Lutheran Church cemetery.
- o. Martha Frances Epting, born 30 September 1849, died 26 May 1908, married 30 January 1868, John Andrew Counts, born 5 June 1847, died 8 April 1930, son of George Alfred Counts and Harriet Cromer.
Children by Harriet Swittenberg:
- p. Alice Ann Epting, born 6 November 1853, died 8 October 1930, married 17 April 1873, William Walter Fulmer, born 28 February 1854 (Coweta Co., GA), died 25 June 1930, son of Walter F. Fulmer and Susanna C. Ridlehuber. Both buried in Elmwood Cemetery, Columbia, SC.
- q. Walton Jabez Epting, born 30 October 1855, died 19 April 1919, married Martha Louise Ridlehuber, born 26 January 1857, died 20 July 1924. Both buried in Bethlehem Lutheran Church cemetery.
- r. Atline Haddesa Epting, born 29 May 1857, died 17 July 1909, married (his second wife), James Hammond Sease, born 16 June 1859, died 25 February 1930, son of John Leonard Sease and Martha Elizabeth Fike.
- s. Warren Trapesthear Epting, born 5 June 1862, died 11 January 1942. Did not marry. Buried in Bethlehem Lutheran Church cemetery.
- 3. William Epting, born 6 May 1806, died 14 September 1881, married Elvina Lane, born about 1812, died April 1900, daughter of Mrs. Nancy Lane. Moved to Macon Co., GA and settled near town of Montezuma.
- a. William Calvin Epting, born March 1837, died September 1927, married Nannie Muray Elliott.
- b. Thomas Pickens Epting, born about 1838, died 12 October 1862 (CSA). Buried Travelers Rest Cemetery.
- c. Jacob Pierce B. Epting, born about 1840.
- d. Elizabeth Epting, born about 1843, married Capt. W. H. Harrison.
- e. Nancy (Nannie) Jane Epting, born about 1845, died 30 March 1914, married John H. Claxton. Both buried Montezuma, Ga.
- f. Bascom Epting, born about 1851, died September 1918. Did not marry.
- g. George Johnson Epting, born about 1853, married November 1879, Eliza Koonce. Moved to Monroe Co., GA.
- h. Henrietta A. Epting, born June 1855, married 13 February 1876, Thomas H. Marshall.
- 4. Nancy Epting.
- 5. John Henry Epting, born 2 September 1808, died 28 May 1881, married (1) Mary M. Summer, born January 1810, died 12 May 1837, daughter of Nicholas Summer and Elizabeth Counts; married (2) Lucinda Hoard; and married (3) Harriet Frances Lane, born 28 February 1823, died 9 July 1888, daughter of Mrs. Nancy Lane. Buried with third wife in Epting Cemetery #1.
- a. Nancy Dorothea (Dollie) Epting, born 14 April 1840, died 13 December 1911, married Jenkins H. Smith, born 25 February 1838, died 17 April 1908. Both buried in Mt. Pleasant Methodist Church cemetery.
- b. Elvira Lavinia Epting, born 22 November 1842, died 1 May 1900, married Dr. William P. Suber, born 19 October 1840, son of Mitchel Suber and Louisa E. Strother.
- c. Frances Ella Epting, born 6 March 1845, died 28 June 1923, married 13 May 1875 (his second wife) James Caillus Cromer, born about 1851, died about 1904, son of Miles Cromer and Agnes Wicker. Both buried Epting Cemetery #1.
- d. Henry M. Epting, born about 1846, died 6 February 1865 (CSA).
- e. Orlando B. Epting, born 2 October 1849, died 18 January 1870, married (as first husband) Helena (Lena) Elvira Ruff (adopted child of Miles Cromer and Clara Ruff), born 20 January 1849, died 8 July 1917.
- f. John D. Epting, born about 1852.
- g. Thomas Edward Epting, born 1855, died 29 March 1920, married Tallulah (Lula) E. Goggans, born 1863, died 1951. Both buried in Rosemont Cemetery.
- h. James Franklin Epting, born 7 February 1857, died 6 March 1924, married Lula Langford Lane, born October 1861, died 1910.
- i. Anna Elizabeth Epting, born 3 June 1859, died 2 November 1941, married 20 February 1879, John Colvin Adams, born 3 June 1859, died 18 April 1928, son of John Thomas Adams and Epsie Malinda Felker. Both buried in Rosemont Cemetery.
- j. Lilla D. Epting, born 2 July 1861, died 14 July 1923, married (as second wife) Elbert Pinckney Cromer, born 10 July 1839, died 12 May 1912.
- k. Jacob R. Epting, born about 1865.
- 6. Elizabeth Epting, born 28 February 1813, died 1 June 1871, married Rev. Mark Moore Boyd, born 4 February 1806, died 24 March 1900, son of Nathan Boyd and Elizabeth Tygert.
- 7. Anna Epting, born 15 January 1816, died 19 August 1858, married Jabez G. Lake, born 19 November 1807, died 7 July 1870, son of Enoch Lake and Elizabeth Buchanan.
- C. John Epting, born 1777, died August 1820, married Katherine Koon, born 8 May 1782, died October 1826, daughter of John Henry Koon and Maria Ursula Shealy. John Epting died shortly after a duel with a man named Lyles at the old mustering grounds above Duncans Cr., called "Goshin's Hill."
John Epting, Jr. was administrator of the estate of Catherine Epting (Newberry Wills L-169).
The children of Catherine Epting, according to a later equity were: Eve, George A., Henry,
Jacob, and Lewis Epting, who had died (Sandra Lee, Will Book L, p. 24).
- 1. John Epting, born 1 November 1804, died 20 September 1878, married (1) 24 March 1826, Elizabeth Felker, born 7 June 1807, died 27 February 1859, daughter of Peter Felker and Sarah Eaves; married (2) Malina Stewart. Moved to Laurens Co., later to Spartanburg Co., SC.
- a. Isaac Epton, born 20 Jan 1827, died 2 April 1886, married 31 March 1852, Jane Wofford, daughter of Joseph Wofford and Jane Huckabee.
- b. Jacob William Epton, born 2 Oct 1828, died 2 Sept 1864, married 14 February 1855, Ferdelia Jenny Landford, born 11 September 1836, died 21 November 1917.
- c. James Allen Epton, born 8 October 1830, died about 1864 (VA), married 23 December 1858, Angelina McElvey.
- d. Adella F. Epton, born 6 October 1832, died 4 July 1835.
- e. George Adam Epton, born 12 September 1834, died 15 August 1835.
- f. George McDuffie Epton, born 30 March 1836, Laurens Co., SC, died 22 October 1911, married 25 March 1867, Sarah Elizabeth Garrett, born 1 November 1849, died 26 December 1920.
- g. Nancy Susan Epton, born 5 November 1838, died 1913, married 27 February 1859, Hazell Parris, born 31 January 1838, died 11 March 1904. Buried in Buck's Cr. Baptist Church cemetery, Mayo, Spartanburg Co., SC.
- h. Thomas Jefferson Epton, b. 20 January 1840, died 15 August 1842.
- i. Mary Ann Epton, born 6 August 1845, Cherokee Springs, Spartanburg Co., SC, married ___ Metts.
- 2. Sarah Epting, born about 1805. Died in infancy.
- 3. Katherine Christina Epting, born about 1806. Died in infancy.
- 4. Eve Epting, born 2 June 1809, died 19 December 1873, married (as second wife) Andrew Campbell, died 8 January 1869 (age 77 yrs.). Both buried in Beth Eden Lutheran Cemetery.
- 5. George Adam Epting, born 12 January 1812, died 15 November 1867, married Anna Epting, born 2 June 1816, died 26 August 1864, daughter of John Epting and Elizabeth Werts. Both buried in Beth Eden Lutheran Church cemetery.
- a. Amanda Elizabeth (Betty) Epting, born about 1842, married (1) 14 March 1865, Samuel Spitler Sieg, died 21 September 1871. Moved to Churchwell, VA and remarried (2) Rev. Hedrick, a Lutheran Minister.
- b. Henry Harrison (Hack) Epting, born 20 January 1847, died 13 December 1923, married 6 Feb 1873, Jennie Rook, born 5 August 1850, died 18 November 1928.
- c. Jacob Epting, born October 1849, died 30 January 1868. Buried in Beth Eden Lutheran Church cemetery.
- d. Kate Epting, born about 1852.
- 6. Henry Epting, born about 1812, died 1837. Did not marry.
- 7. Lewis Able Epting, born 1813. Died young.
- 8. Jacob Epting, born 15 April 1817, died 1908, moved to Pontotoc, now Lee Co., MISS, and married Mary Frances Dillard, born 24 December 1822, died 1892, daughter of Lemuel Dillard and Jane Bourland. They lived near Bethany, MISS. Both are buried in Camp Creek Cemetery, Lee Co., MISS.
- a. Mary Jane Epting, born 1842, married B. F. Smith.
- b. John Epting, born 1844, married (1) 12 December 1867, Nancy A. Smith; married (2) Emma Atkins.
- c. Lemuel Epting, born 1845, married Ida Holland.
- d. Thomas (Tom) Jefferson Epting, born 1848, married 20 September 1872, Elizabeth Mahala Bryson, born 1855, MISS, died 1921.
- e. George Epting, born 1850, married Millie Holland.
- f. J. W. (Jim) Epting, born 1852, married Ella Gordon.
- g. Serena Frances Epting, born 1855, married 19 November 1879, William (Bill) Monroe Conaway.
- h. Rebecca Williamson Epting, born 1857, married 18 December 1879, Dave Holland.
- i. Lottie Epting, born 1859, married ___ Haynes.
- D. Katherine Epting married Henry Koon, born 8 February 1765, died June 1816, son of John Henry Koon and Maria Ursula Shealy.
- 1. Eve Catherine Koon, born 8 September 1787, died 14 September 1856, married Martin Kinard, Jr., born about 1778, died 5 August 1854, son of Martin Kinard, Sr. and Mary Witt. Both buried at Sharon Methodist Church, Kinards, SC.
- 2. Sarah M. Koon, born about 1790, died 14 April 1842, married Frederick Bird Willingham, born 1791, died 1842.
- 3. Elizabeth Katherine Koon, born about 1800, died 1872, married Michael Kibler, Jr., died before 1850, son of Michael Kibler, Sr. and Mary Kinard.
- 4. Henry Koon, Jr., born 25 January 1803, died 13 October 1884, married (1) Elizabeth Cannon, born about 1791, died 4 June 1842, daughter of Col. Samuel Cannon and Sarah Riser; married (2) Mary Susan Riser, born 24 December 1810, died 24 September 1870, daughter of Martin Riser and Christina Rikard. Buried with first wife in Koon Family Cemetery, Newberry Co., SC.
- 5. Eve Mary Koon, born 18 January 1806, died 23 November 1849, married Adam Epting, born 19 March 1804, died 6 November 1871, son of Jacob Epting and Mary Cannon.
- 6. Margaret Koon, married William Robert Chapman, died June 1839, son of Abraham Chapman and Anna Elizabeth Herring.
- 7. Mary Magdaline Koon, died 12 February 1833, married John Metts, died January 1835, son of Henry Metts and wife Elizabeth.
John Epting, born about 1756, died before 1810, is said to have married Anna Lohner, born 3 September 1752, daughter of Melchior Lohner. In 1790, Jacob Epting sold 100 acres on Crims Cr. to John Epting (B. H. Holcomb, "Memorialized Records of Lexington Dist., SC, 1814-1825").
- A. Adam Epting died in June 1839. He married Elizabeth Counts, sister of "Carpenter" John Counts. In 1842, William, Ephraim, and Sarah Epting, and Christiana Summer sold 95 acres to Jacob Epting being part of lands owned by the late Adam Epting, Sr. decd. (Lexington Deeds P-92).
- 1. Christina Epting, born about 1798, died June 1858, married (as second wife ) Andrew Summer, born 21 October 1793, died 18 July 1838, son of George Adam Summer, Sr. and Susannah Margarita Thomas.
- 2. Adam Epting, Jr., born about 1802, died after 1850, married Harriet Busby, born about 1808, daughter of Jacob Busby.
- a. Jacob B. Epting, born about 1827.
- b. Mary Ann Epting, born about 1830. Died after 1850.
- c. Thomas N. Epting, born about 1834, married P. L. E. ___, born 19 November 1838, died 6 November 1884.
- d. Mary Epting. Did not marry.
- e. Tirzah (Tarsey) Epting, born 30 May 1837, died 30 July 1899, married 24 May 1859, Andrew Murdock, born 28 July 1828, died 13 May 1890. Both buried in Epting-Murdock-Summer cemetery. Andrew Murdock was "a bridge builder from Ochiltree, Ayrshire, Scotland.
- f. John A. Epting, born about 1838. Died after 1850.
- 3. William Epting, Sr., born about 1807, married Catherine Summer, born March 1810, daughter of William Summer, Jr. and Catherine Elizabeth Fulmer.
- a. David Richard Epting, born 14 November 1833, died 4 October 1903, married Mary A. B. Setzler, born 5 December 1835, died 29 November 1924, daughter of Martin Setzler and Mary Morgan. Both buried in Mt. Horeb Cemetery, Chapin, SC.
- b. James Epting, born 1837, died during Civil War.
- c. William Robert Epting, born 1843, died 26 June 1864 (CSA).
- d. John A. Epting, born 1846, died 28 August 1862 (CSA).
- 4. Sarah (Sallie) Epting, born about 1810, died August 1879. Did not marry.
- 5. Ephraim Epting, born about 1817, died about 1850, wife named Magdaline, born about 1818.
- a. Adam Epting, born 1834.
- b. Anna Rebecca Epting, born 1840.
- c. George H. Epting, born 3 December 1845, married 24 February 1870, Susannah E. Summer, daughter of James Andrew Summer and Mary L. Stoudemire.
- d. William Epting, born 1853.
- B. John Epting, born 13 January 1784, died 13 January 1803. Buried in Epting Cemetery #2. Was probably a son of John Epting and Anna Lohner.
Margaret Epting, born S.C., died about 1790, is said to have been the first wife of Francis Summer, born about 1756, died about 1810, son of Hans Adam Summer Sr. and Anna Maria Yost.
The following are believed to be children of Francis Summer and Margaret Epting:
- A. Son Summer, who had child, Joseph P. Summer, who was raised by Francis Summer. Joseph P. Summer was born 18 February 1804 and died 3 January 1871.
- B. Abram Summer, born about 1787, married (1) Magdeline Addy. Abram Summer abandoned his wife and moved to Perry Co., AL, where he married, 21 March 1842, Nancy Seagler.
- C. Eve Ann Summer, born about 1788, died 1858, married Capt. Thomas Boyd, born about 1785, died 1870, son of Thomas Boyd, Sr. and Esther Moorf.
- D. Katherine Summer, married William Stone who died in 1827.
Updated 1 August 2004