Peter Quattlebaum Family
The Quattlebaum family of S.C. is descended from Petter Quattelbaum whose family arrived in Philadelphia in 1736 on the Brigantine John, George Frazer, Master. Petter Quattelbaum m. 11 Apr 1723, Anna Barbara Von der Hutte in Mulheim, Ruht Dist., Germany. Petter Quattelbaum died 1748 at Kinsingtown, PA.
The Family is described by Sen. Paul Quattlebaum in "Quattlebaum, A Palatine Family in South Carolina" (SC Historical and Genealogical Magazine, Vols. 48 and 49, 1947 & 1948).
FAMILY OF PETTER QUATTELBAUM AND WIFE, ANNA BARBARA
I. Gertraud Quattlebaum, m. 7 March 1746, Frantz Carl Huynt.
II. Maria Catharina Quattlebaum, m. 31 March 1748, Johann Jacob Umstadt.
III. Anna Barabara Quattlebaum, m. 3 Jan 1749, Hans Eberhardt Kunkel.
IV. Matthias Quattlebaum
VII. Johannes Quattlebaum, b. 18 Feb 1742
VIII. Peter Quattlebaum, b. about 1744.
IX. Johanna Quattlebaum, b. 1746, d. Feb 1748.
During late Colonial times Matthias, Johannes, and Peter Quattelbaum moved from Pennsylvania to S.C.
S.C. DESCENDANTS OF PETTER QUATTELBAUM. SR.
- Matthias Quattlebaum, Sr., b. about 1736, d. about 1806, settled in the Crims Cr. area of the S.C. Dutch Fork. He married Rachel Derrin, b. about 1747, who arrived in SC in Dec 1764. They had grants adjacent each other on Rocky Br., a tributary of Turkey Cr. in Edgefield Dist., SC. In 1795 he sold his 100 acre grant to John Yans. During the Rev. War, Matthias Quattlebaum, Sr. supplied flour in 1782 to state troops.
In 1786, Matthias Quattlebaum bought from Michael Dickert, the 300 acre land grant of
Peter Dickert on Crims Cr. (Nby Deeds A-265). In 1803 he gave half of this tract to daughter,
Girtrud Rinhard, wife of John Rinehardt (Nby Deeds G-5) who sold in 1806 to Laurence
Feagle (Nby Deeds H-351).
Matthias Quattlebaum, Sr. had a 607 acre survey in 1792 near Little Mountain, SC. After his
death this land was sold at public auction. Matthias Quattlebaum, Jr. bought part of the grant
in 1806 from the purchasor (Quadlebaum to Folk, Nby Deeds J-84).
- Maria Christina Quattlebaum, b. about 1769, m. (1) Jacob Barre, Sr., d. about 1800; m. (2) Martin Shealy, b. about 1774, d. about 1816, s/o John Wendel Shealy & Anna Mary Epting.
Children by Jacob Barre, Sr.
- Jacob Barre, d. about 1816, m. Elizabeth Hope, d/o Christian Haupt & Mary Shealy.
- Michael Barre, b. 21 Sept 1791, d. 4 March 1874, m. Mary Ann Minick, b. 8 Feb 1798, d. 3 Nov 1871, d/o Johan Adam Minick & wife, Anna Maria. Bur. Barre Cemetery near Leesville, SC.
- John Barre, d. about 1820, m. Catherine Sligh, b. 15 Sept 1799, d. 26 Oct 1855, d/o John Phillip Sligh, Sr. & Christina Kinard.
- Mary Christina Barre, d. March 1817, m. John Kibler, d. about 1831, s/o Michael Kibler, Sr. & Mary Kinard.
- Matthias Barre, b. 15 March 1801, d. 27 Apr 1873, m. (1) Mary Magdalene Werts, b. 6 Jan 1802, d. 16 Oct 1841, d/o George Henry Werts & Molly Singley; m. (2) Eliza Jane Berley, b. 20 March 1820, d. 9 Feb 1903, d/o John Berley & Barbara Wertz.
Children by Martin Shealy.
- Henry Shealy, d. young.
- David Shealy, b. about 1804.
- William Shealy, b. about 1806.
- 9. Levi Shealy, d young.
- Thomas Shadrack Quattlebaum, b. about 1772. Lived in Edgefield Dist. and in 1835 was a deacon of Little Stevens Cr. Bapt. Church.
Some of his children:
- Son, left widow, Naomi, who was living in 1850 in Macon Co., GA.
- Moses Ezekiel Quattlebaum, b. about 1778, married and moved to GA. After his death the widow, Fairby, m. a Gray and the family moved to Henry Co., AL.
- Shadrack Quattlebaum, b. 1820
- Matthias Quattlebaum, Jr., b. about 1776, d. about 1860, m. Catherine Shealy, d/o John Wendel Shealy and Anna Mary Epting. They lived near Leesville, SC. Matthias Quattlebaum served in the War of 1812 in the Co. of Cap. John Quattlebaum.
- Polly Quattlebaum, b. 9 Oct 1808, d. 4 March 1888, m. John W. Cully.
- Sarah Quattlebaum, b. about 1810, m. Wash Spradley.
- Daniel Quattlebaum, b. about 1811, d. Jan 1887, Orangeburg, SC, m. Sophia A. Lovelace.
- Emanuel (Poss) Quattlebaum, b. 25 Sept 1812, d. 29 Jan 1888, m. 25 Jan
1838, Sarah Martha Johnston, b. 9 Feb 1819, d. 4 March 1899, d/o Rev. John Knox
- Mary Quattlebaum, b. 1819, m. John Long.
- William Joseph Quattlebaum, b. about 1820.
- John (Buck) Quattlebaum, b. 1822, d. 1863, m. Mary Ann Cullum, b. 15 Jan 1824, d. 9 Dec 1916.
- Elizabeth (Betsey) Quattlebaum, b. about 1825, m. (1) Wesley G. Prater, b. about 1826, s/o Hezekiah Prather & Eleanor Hartley; m. (2) Benjamin Bishop.
- Martha Quattlebaum, b. about 1826, m. John Rinehart.
- Louisa Catherine Quattlebaum, b. 14 Sept 1828, d. 8 Feb 1893, m. Joshua
W. Gunter, b. about 1825, s/o Rivers Gunter & Priscilla Hartley.
11. Caroline Quattlebaum, b. about 1831, m. ___ Day.
D. Leah Quattlebaum, was first wife of Lawrence Feagle, d. about Sept 1847.
- Elizabeth Feagle, b. 11 Nov 1793, d. 24 Feb 1874, m. Jacob Haltiwanger, b. 30 March 1785, d. 2 Dec 1864, s/o John Haltiwanger & Margaret Katherine Schmidt.
- Rachael Quattlebaum, b. about 1784, d. Feb 1853, m. (as second wife) Lawence Feagle. They lived in the Crims Cr. area.
1. John Feagle, b. about 1800, d. 1873, m. (1) Mary M. ___; m. (2) Polly Witt.
Moved to Columbia Co., FL.
- Mary Feagle, d. before 1827, m. (as 1st wife) 28 Dec 1815, John Monts, b. 11 Dec 1793, d. Dec 1878, s/o Gosper Monts and Anna Mary Minnick.
- William Feagle, b. 16 May 1806, d. 23 Jan 1893, m. (1) Margaret Stewart, b. 18 Sept 1809, d. 27 Aug 1842; m. (2) 16 Sept 1843, Elizabeth LeGrone, b. 12 Jan 1823, d. 5 Sept 1872; m. Mrs. Margaret Theresa J. Kreps Dons. Moved about 1851 to Columbia Co., FL.
- Salome (Sallie) Feagle, m. ___ Ables.
- Susannah (Susie) Feagle, m. Stanmore R. Sheppard, b. 11 Feb 1813, d. 7 Nov 1871.
- Eve Feagle, m. Martin Koon, b. 1799, d. 28 June 1873. Moved to Edgefield Dist., SC.
- George Feagle, b. 3 May 1815, d. 27 July 1864 (CSA), m. 5 March 1835, Anna Margaret Houseal, b. 1 March 1812, d. 1 June 1878.
- Gertraud Quattelbaum, first wife of John Rinehart, Sr., b. 1774, d. 12 July 1829, s/o Matthias Rinehart and Anna Margaret Lagrone. They moved to Edgefield Dist., SC.
- Catherine Rinehart. Believed to have been first wife of Lawrence Hare, s/o Peter Hair, Jr. Lived in Edgefield (Saluda Co.) Dist., SC.
- John Rinehart, Jr.
- Abraham Rinehart, b. about 1805, d. 20 Jan 1880, m. Mary Catherine Shealy. Moved before 1829 to Perry Co., AL, then moved to Talladega Co., AL.
- Rebecca Rinehart, b. 1810, d. 6 Jan 1903, m. Charles (Charlie) G. Duncan, b. 3 Nov 1804, d. 21 Jan 1880. Bur. Providence Methodist Church Cemetery, Batesburg, SC.
- Mary Rinehart, m. John Frederick Hartley. Moved to Perry Co., AL.
G. Nancy Quattlebaum, b. 19 Sept 1794, d. 1 Feb 1873. Did not marry.
- Johannes Quattelbaum, b. 18 Feb 1742, Williams Township, PA. Moved to S.C. and settled
in Edgefield Dist. near Leesville, SC. In 1795 John Quattlebaum, Sr. sold land on Camping
Cr. to John Quattlebaum, Jr. (Deed abstracted in Lex Gen Exchg 3:116). At that time, John
Quattlebaum, Sr. is was said to lived in Edgefield Dist.
- Capt. John Quattlebaum, b. 1 Dec 1774, m. 5 Aug 1798, Sarah Weaver, d. 6 Jan 1809, d/o Henry Weaver. Served in War of 1812 as Capt. in Lieut. Col. Rowe's SC Militia.
- Dau, b. about 1786
- George Quattlebaum, b. 1787, served in War of 1812 in Co. of Capt. Holloway. Moved to AL and lived in Chambers and Talladega Co., AL. His son, Col. John Quattlebum remained in Edgefield Dist.
D. Dau., b. about 1789.
VIII. Peter Quattlebaum, b. about 1744, d. 1806, moved to S.C. and m. Catherine Cappleman.
- David Quattlebaum, m. ___ Harmon. Lived in Edgefield Dist.
- Peter Quattlebaum, Jr., b. 1798, m. Ann A. Grisson. Moved to Edgefield Dist., then to Newton Co., MISS.
- Joseph Quattlebaum, b. 29 June 1800, d. 22 Jan 1848, m. ___ Threat, d/o Edward Threat; m. (2) Margaret Lynch, b. 28 Sept 1811, d. 16 March 1892, d/o Rev. Elijah Lynch & Elizabeth Chapman.
- Catherine Quattlebaum, b. 3 July 1802, m. Oliver Moore, b. 30 July 1799. They moved to Pike Co., AL.
- Sarah Quattlebaum, b. 5 Sept 1806, d. 16 Aug 1891, m. Michael Kinard, b. 18 Apr 1805, d. 27 Jan 1852, s/o George Kinard, Sr. and wife, Nancy.
Submitter: Carl Nichols
Bio posted 7 May 2004