Christopher Scherb/Sharp Family
Christopher Scherb/Sharp settled in what is now Lexington Co., SC. His wife was named Anna Maria, and she may have been a Caughman or a Meetze.
I. John Christopher Sharp, b. Nov 1753, m. (1) Margaret Rebecca Mickler, d/o Peter Mickler; m. (2) __ Geiger. In 1788, Christopher Scherb was a signer for the incorporation of Bethlehem Church (Irmo). This church was at that time near Faust Ferry on Broad River
Children by first Rebecca Mickler:
A. John David Sharp, b. about 1787, m. Mary Jeffcoat, b. about 1788. He was a minister and also a surveyor. They settled in Lexington County near the "Sycamore Tree" on Highway #1. There are three different names for his spouse; he could have been married more than once. One source lists her as a Swygert, another as Mary Stevens.
B. Michael J. Sharp, b. about 1790, d. Nov 1882 (Richland Co., SC, m. Catherine Entzminger, b. about 1787, d/o Frederick Entzminger and Mary Boyer. Children listed in Richland County Will Book H, p. 347.
1. Christian Lorick Sharp, b. about 1818 (Rich. Co.), d. before 11 Nov 1 840, m. Martha Ann Elizabeth Lorick, b. 7 Jan 1821, d. 22 Oct 1899, d/o John William Lorick & Mary Ann Stack; no issue. She m. (2) Alexander Osmon Dreher; Will of Christian Sharp, Nov 11, 1840. Adm: his father Michael J Sharpe; appraisers included John C. Sharp (Files of Patti Cooper).
a. Barbara Elnors| "Lenora" Sharp, b. 1841
2. John M. E. Sharp — Father Michael J. Sharp; from St. Phillips Church Church records, Charleston, SC; listed as a merchant in 1850 Richland Co. Census.
3. Levi Turner Sharp, b. about 1821, d. 6 May 1894, m. (1) 1 Sep 1838, Charlotte Mahala Lorick, b. 4 Mar 1819, d. about 1868, d/o John William Lorick & Ann Stack; m. (2) 3 Sep 1872, Martha Emma Goins, b. 23 Feb 1847. Confederate Pension Records, Box 1, File 372, Application of Emma Sharp; Supply Pastor (Sandy Level Baptist Church records; files of Patti Cooper).
a. Victoria M. Sharp, b. 17 Nov 1840, d. 14 Aug 1895, m. (his first wife) Jam Wade Swygert, b. 19 May 1842, d. 14 Mar 1912, s/o "Major" John Sanders (18101900) & Harriet Lorick (18141872) Swygert. He m. (2)Mary Elizabeth Permelia Abell (18701948); all three buried Sandy Level Baptist Church, Biythewood, SC.
b. Artimesia Sharp, b. 27 Mar 1843, d. 14 Aug 1895, m. J. W. Entzminger, b. 12 Dec 1830, d. 6 Oct 1883. Both buried Sandy Level Baptist Church, Biythewood, SC.
c. _____ Sharpe – _____ Cemetery, richland Co., SC
d. Florence 0. Sharp, b. about 1854, m. William F. Goins, b. about 1829, NC. (Files of Patti Cooper).
e. Ann Louise Sharp, d. age 5 weeks, buried Family Cemetery, Richland Co., SC
C. Elizabeth Sharp, b. 14 Feb 1797, d. 17 Oct 1883, Lex. Co., SC, m. (1) about 1811, George Phillip Hook; m. (2) about 1824, John Solomon Hendrix, s/o David & Margaret Meetze,
Child by first marriage:
1. Jeremiah Hook, b. 24 Jan 1814, d. 1 Feb 1898, m. (1) Joanna Elizabeth Johnson, d. about 1850. Buried Family Cemetery beneath the waters of Lake Murray. Married (2) Julia Ann Lybrand, b. 20 May 1924, d/o Joseph Lybrand & Mary Madaline “ Molly" Wessinger. He and Julia Ann are buried at Nazareth Lutheran Church, Lex., SC. There were 13 children born of these two marriages.
Children by second marriage:
2. Sarah Ann Hendrix, b. 22 Mar 1826, d. 23 Oct 1864, Lex. Co., SC, m. Lewis Riddle, b. 2 Sep 1819, d. 26 May 1867. Both buried Riddle Family Cemetery, Lexington, SC. There are two unmarked infant graves in this plot.
a. Anna Elizabeth C. Riddle, b. 11 Jan 1844, d. 11 Mar 1927, m. 28 Sep 1859, William (Billy) W. Koon, b. Dec 1837, d. 8 Jul 1819, s/o Henry Koon & Sarah (Sallie) Coogler. Both buried Pond Branch United Methodist Church,Gilbert, SC.
b. Jane J. Riddle, b. 7 Jun 1846, d. 26 Aug 1885, m. (as first wife) George S. Ballentine, b. 7 Jun 1839, d. 3 Nov 1913, Salem, SC, s/o Allen Ballentine & Nancy Waites.
c. John A. Edward Riddle, b. 20 Mar 1848, d. 29 May 1885, m. Nancy Alice Derrick, b. 28 Dec 1852, d. 2 Mar 1927. Both buried Bethlehem Lutheran Church, Irmo, SC.
3. Joseph Emanuel Hendrix, b. 8 Feb 1828, d. 3 Apr 1916, m. Rebecca Catherine Rawl, b. 28 Mar 1830, d. 28 Mar 1910, d/o John Rawl & Margaret Elizabeth Austin. Both buried St. Johns Lutheran Church, Walhalla, Oconee Co., SC
4. Jane E. Hendrix, b. 8 Feb 1828, d. 4 Jun 1896, Lex. Co., SC, m. Elbert Nass Kaminer, b. 1825,d. 1865, s/o Jacob Kaminer(17891857) & Nancy Dent (18081867) Kaminer(Information on this family was taken from The Kaminers of SC, pgs. 167204).
5. John Solomon Hendrix, H, b. 12 Nov 1831, d. 19 Oct 1917, Lex. Co., SC, m.Martha Ann Snelgrove, b. 28 Nov 1832, d. 29 Jun 1911, d/o Tyre Snelgrove & Nancy Langford.
6. Henry Edwin Hendrix, b. about 1833, m. La Belle Bivens, b. 1841, d. 1897.
D. John Christian Sharp, b. about 1799, 9 Nov 1851, Richland Co., SC, m. Margaret Rebecca Seastrunk, b. about 1810, d. 1870/80, d/o Emanuel Seastrunk & Margaret Stack. They are buried unmarked in the family cemetery, on Hwy. ___ his will).
1. John M. Sharp, b. about 1824, wife named Maria.
2. Christian D. Sharp, b. May 1828, m. Caroline E. "Keith" Edwards b. Apr 1833. In the 1880 Census records, this couple had been married 61 years and had eleven children, three of whom had died.
3. Harriet Louisa Sharp, b. 1 Sep 1830, d. 23 Oct 1892, Richland Co., SC, m. George Washington Keith, b. 2 Nov 1825, d. 29 Mar 1913. He was first married to Martha Gunnell, b. about 1832, Fairfield Co, SC, d. about 1855/58 (4 children) and m. (3 about 1894, Mary Baxter Abel.
4. Charlotte Rebecca Sharp, b. 17 Apr 1832, d. 7 Jan 1907, Kershaw Co., SC, m. Rev. William S. Perry, b. 30 Apr 1830, d. 20 Jun 1905. Both buried Harmony Baptist C Church, Kershaw Co., SC.
5. Daughter Sharp, b. 1830/35, d. before 1850.
6. Mary Ann Katherine Sharp, b. about 1836, m. Phillip Alexander Rhymer.
7. Daughter Sharp, b. 1835/40, d. bef. 1850.
8. Samuel Sanders Swygert Sharp, b. Jun 1844, d. 14 Jan 1925, m. (1) Sallie Baxter, b. about 1845, d. before 1876; m. (2) Susan Elizabeth "Susie" Rabon, b. 15 Jun 1862, d. 27 Mar 1924, d/o L. A. Rabon & Janie Howell. Sam was a Confederate War Veteran.
9. George Washington Sharp, b. 27 Dec 1847, d. 15 Aug 1926, m. 18 Oct 1868, Sarah &Agnes M. Edwards. Both buried Sharpe Family Cemetery,Columbia, SC. Her parents are also buried there.
10. Lemuel E. Sharp, b. about 1849, d. 22 Nov 1914, m. (1) E. Emma Perry, b. about 1844, d. 1912, d/o John and Harriet (?) Perry, she is buried in the Kelly Famil Cemtery on Kelly Mill Rd, Elgin, SC.
Child by? Geiger:
E. Jesse Sharp, b. about 1802, m. __ Gartman. He moved to lower part of Lexington Co. and were the ancestors of the Sharpe family of Gaston and Swansea and others who have migrated from the area.
II. Sebastian Sharp, b. Saxe Gotha, d. Eutaw Springs, SC. He died in the Revolutionary War; no known survivors.
III. John Sharp. Living in Orangeburg Distrist in 1790. This in not a proven child of this couple.
IV. James Sharp. He lived in the Orangeburg District in 1790. He is not a proven son of this couple; however, the John Christian Sharp family stated that a James Sharp left the Dutch Fork area and went to lower Lexington County after a dispute with his father over land.
Submitter: Carolyn Harwell -
Updated 16 January 2001