Jacob Haltiwanger Family
Jacob Halldenwanger (Weaver), born 14 September 1704, S”hnstetten, Territory of Ulm, Germany, was the son of Stoffel Halldenwanger (Day-laborer) and wife Catharina R”ssler. He married, 5 June 1736, Anna Maria Behner, born 16 December 1711, daughter of Andreas Behner (tailor) and Angelica Preissling. The family of Jacob Haltiwanger came to SC on the Elizabeth. There were two children when he petitioned for bounty: Christopher 10, and Angelina 8. A 200 acre land grant was located on Wateree Creek. Old land records indicate that this land
CHILDREN OF JACOB HALLDENWANGER AND ANNA MARIA BEHNER:
I. Catharina Halldenwanger, born 19 October 1738, died 25 December 1743.
FAMILY OF ANGELICA HALTIWANGER
Angelica Halldenwanger, born 26 November 1744, died after 1819, married John George Swygert, born about 1743, died after 1819, son of John Swygert who came on the Elizabeth in 1752 to SC. In 1819, George Swygert and wife, Angelica, for love and affection gave to son, Christian Swygert, 200 acres of land near Peak, SC (deed abstracted in SC Magazine of Ancestral Research 10:187, 1982).
A. Christian Swygert. Died before 1828 without heirs.
B. Angelica Swygert, born about 1770, died 17 August 1854, married ___ Mickler. Living in 1850 in the home of George Adam Mayer. She is buried in the Mayer Family Cemetery, 4 miles south of Little Mountain, SC.
C. Margaret Swygert, married George Adam Counts, Sr., born 1770, died 19 November 1824, son of John Counts, Jr. and wife Elizabeth.
D. Daughter Swygert, died before 1828, married Ferdinand Minick.
E. Jacob Swygert, born 1783, died 4 September 1867, married Eva Margaretha Houseal, born 1 January 1797, died 29 August
1867, daughter of John Adam Houseal and Mary Magdalene Summer. They are buried in the Counts-Swygert Cemetery near Peak, SC.
F. Anna Mary Swygert, born 4 April 1787, died 14 September 1848 (61 years, 5 months, 10 days), married (as first wife)
George Adam Mayer, born about 1784, died 20 November 1858, son of Ulrich Mayer and Ann Cathern Frick. Both buried Mayer Family Cemetery.
FAMILY OF JOHN HALTIWANGER
John Haltiwanger, born about 1753, died about 1830, married Katherine Margaret Schmitz, died December 1825, possibly a sister of Dr. Henry F. Schmitz. In 1781, John Haltiwanger was a private in the Company of Capt. Jacob Fulmer, Col. Water's Regt., during the Revolutionary War. In 1787, John Haltiwanger obtained a grant for 215 acres on Rister's branch of Wateree Creek. This land was adjacent the original Jacob Haltiwanger bounty grant.
A. Christina Haltiwanger, born 8 December 1783, died June 1854, married Jacob Huiet, born 5 April 1783, died 27 August 1836, son of Jacob Huiet and Christina Barbara Shoemaker. They moved to Edgefield (Saluda County) District, SC.
B. Jacob Haltiwanger, born 30 March 1785, died 18 February 1860, married Elizabeth Feagle, born 11 November 1793, died 24 February 1874, daughter of Lawrence Feagle and Leah Quattlebaum. Moved to Edgefield (Saluda County) District, SC. Both buried Haltiwanger Family cemetery near Trinity Lutheran Church cemetery, Saluda County, SC.
1. Rev. George Haltiwanger, born 11 May 1813, died 10 March 1862 (CSA), married 21 May 1840, Elizabeth Ann Dreher, born 1 November 1820, died 28 February 1889, daughter of Rev. Daniel Dreher and Rebecca Shuler. Rev. Haltiwanger was a Lutheran Minister, ordained 1842. He moved about 1849 to Effingham County, GA where he was a Minister at Ebenezer Church founded by the Saltzbergers.
2. Nancy Haltiwanger, born 25 December 1815.
3. Catherine Haltiwanger, born 16 August 1817, died 10 August 1886, married David Elijah Boozer, born 4 January 1815, died 19 May 1883. Moved to Itawamba County, MS.
4. Levi Haltiwanger, born 14 April 1819, died 3 November 1903, married Melvina Attaway, born 17 Dec 1823, died 3 November 1861. They moved to Lake City, FL.
5. William Haltiwanger, born 22 November 1822, died 7 March 1889, married Sarah Proctor, born 7 Aug 1833, died 27 November 1880.
6. Leah Haltiwanger, born 7 November 1825, died 6 January 1894, married 1) J. Wesley Trotter; married 2) Samuel J. Dyer, died. 6 January 1894. Both buried Trinity Lutheran Church cemetery, Saluda County, SC.
7. John Elmore Haltiwanger, born 15 November 1829, died 1835.
8. Julia Ann Haltiwanger, born 11 January 1832, died 22 January 1936, married 22 May 1856, Jacob Luther Aull, born 4 December 1835, died 25 December 1923, son of Rev. John Herman Aull and Eve Margaret Riser Werts. They moved to Greenwood County, SC.
9. Emeline Haltiwanger, born 3 January 1835, died 18 February 1914, married 1) James Rushton; married 2) Mike Albert Deloach.
10. Isaiah Haltiwanger, born 16 May 1838, died November 1900, married 12 January 1864, Frances Eugenia Counts, born 5 September 1842, died 28 February 1902, daughter of George Alfred Counts and Harriett Cromer. Both buried St. Andrew's Lutheran Church cemetery, Columbia, SC.C. John Haltiwanger, born about 1788, died 23 January 1848, near Coffeville, AL (Obit, "The South Carolinian", issue of 30 June 1848). He moved to Clarke County, AL, and married, February 1845, Ellen Waite, born about 1827. (Information from Amy Templeton, email@example.com).
D. Rev. George Haltiwanger, born 10 July 1795, died 19 April 1849, married 1) Juliana Kelly, born about 1805, died 9 December 1825, daughter of John Frederick Kelly and Rebecca Seay; married 2) Almenia Langford, born 23 May 1811, died 23 May 1862, daughter of Asa Langford and Susanna Bell. Buried with second wife at St. John's Lutheran Church cemetery, Lexington, SC. George Haltiwanger was a Sheriff of Lexington District before he became a Lutheran minister. He was ordained in 1834 and served churches in Lexington and Saluda Counties.
Child by Juliana Kelly:
Children by Almenia Langford:
2. Dr. John Robert Haltiwanger, born 2 December 1830, died 13 January 1906, married 1) 10 August 1858, Sarah Emily Morgan, born 11 November 1837, died 26 September 1888, daughter of David Boston Morgan and Sarah Ann Jackson; married 2) Minnie Zittrauer Mingledorff, born 20 August 1867, died 25 September 1941, daughter of William Josiah Zittrauer and Sarah Ann Black and widow of Charles O. Mingledorff. Dr. Haltiwanger and first wife are buried in Laurel Grove cemetery, Savannah, GA.
3. Elizabeth Malinda Haltiwanger, born 22 May 1832, died 27 October 1845. Buried St. John's Lutheran Church cemetery, Pomaria, SC.
4. Sarah Emily Haltiwanger, born 12 February 1834, died 21 April 1872, married 18 December 1855, Benjamin Rawl, born 15 January 1827, died 10 May 1902, son of John Rawl and Harriet Elizabeth Austin. Both buried St. John's Lutheran Church cemetery, Lexington, SC.
5. Richard Henry Haltiwanger, born 1836, died 2 July 1863, Gettysburg, PA (CSA).
6. Susannah Caroline Haltiwanger, born 15 December 1837, died 24 December 1892, married 1) Harmon John Derrick, born 13 April 1836, died 11 May 1871, son of Godfrey Derrick and Keziah Smith; married 2) (his second wife) Wade Williamson, born 1821, died 28 December 1886, son of Sterling C. Williamson and Priscilla Reeves. Susannah Caroline Haltiwanger and second husband are buried at Shady Grove Methodist Church cemetery.
7. Catherine Rebecca Haltiwanger, born 18 October 1839, died 27 August 1938, married James Erwin Hendrix, born 22 November 1835, died 20 December 1927, son of David Hendrix and Achsa Seay. Both buried at St. Stephens Lutheran Church cemetery, Lexington, SC.
8. Joanna Martha Haltiwanger, born 1842, married Ben Seagle.
9. Ann Amanda Haltiwanger, born 1844, died 17 September 1892, married 17 December 1868, Silas David Hiller, born 21 January 1845, died 23 July 1879, son of John Hiller and Martha Lybrand. Both buried St. Michael's Lutheran Church cemetery, Irmo, SC.
10. Ellen Maria Haltiwanger, born 4 December 1846, died 1 March 1880, married (his first wife) David Boston Morgan, Jr., born 26 November 1845, died 10 May 1926, son of David Boston Morgan, Sr. and Sarah Ann Jackson. Both buried Laurel Grove Cemetery, Savannah, GA. 11. George Whitfield Haltiwanger, born 1848, 4 March 1887. Moved to Whiteville, GA.
E. David Haltiwanger, born 24 June 1797, died 6 January 1878, married Mary Elizabeth Eleazer, born 2 February 1802, died 13 October 1857, daughter of Simeon Eleazer and Mary Bennett. Both bur. Haltiwanger Cemetery #2 (White Rock, SC).
1. Godfrey Haltiwanger, born 30 July 1832, died 7 March 1834. Buried Haltiwanger Family Cemetery.
2. Mary Catherine Haltiwanger, born 6 October 1833, died 22 August 1915. Buried Haltiwanger Family Cemetery.
3. Mary W. Haltiwanger, born about 1836.
4. Henry W. Haltiwanger, born 17 May 1837, died 3 January 1905, married Mary Ann Kneece, born 9 April 1850, died 8 August 1939, daughter of Dr. John Kennerly Kneece and Louisa Drucilla Lowman. Both are buried in the Kneece Family Cemetery, Batesburg, SC.
5. George Criswell Haltiwanger, born 5 December 1838, died 25 November 1920, married Charlotte Louise Smith, born 17 July
1840, died 26 November 1919, daughter of John S. Smith and E. Louisa Mickler. Both are buried in Family Cemetery.
6. Jacob Eleazer Haltiwanger, born 7 June 1846, died 8 February 1929, married 1) Martha M. Gantt, born 22 April 1852, died 28 December 1879, daughter of Jacob Kelly Gantt and Priscilla Catherine Veal; married 2) Caroline Bookman, born 1846, died September 1886. Buried with first wife at Mt. Olivet Lutheran Church cemetery, Spring Hill, SC.
F. Nancy Anna Haltiwanger, born 2 May 1799, died 9 December 1891, married 8 February 1821, Henry Eleazer, born 11 May 1795, died 4 September 1859, son of Simeon Eleazer and Mary Bennett. See Ellisor/Eleazer bio for description of this family.
G. Andrew T. Haltiwanger. Andrew T. Haltiwanger married Catherine Sligh, born 5 May 1804, daughter of John Jacob Sligh, Jr. and Mary Magdalene Summer. After the death of Andrew T. Haltiwanger, Catherine married 2) ___ Warren.
H. William Haltiwanger, born 23 June 1803, died 7 September 1878, married 11 December 1828, Kesiah Lybrand, born 6 April 1808, died 7 September 1873, daughter of Henry Lybrand and Mary Anna Barbara Bickley. Buried in Haltiwanger family cemetery.
1. John Henry Haltiwanger, born 19 July 1830, died 2 October 1897, married 5 Feb 1857, Elizabeth Summer, born 28 December 1834, died 13 October 1908, daughter of William Summer and Christena Hipp. Both buried in Capers Chapel Methodist Church cemetery.
2. George Tillman Haltiwanger, born 29 July 1832, died 24 November 1911, married Harriett Ellen Eargle, born 29 August 1837, died 26 March 1891, daughter of Jacob Eargle and Elizabeth Summer. Both buried Eargle Family cemetery #3.
3. Frances Minerva Haltiwanger, born 3 September 1832, died 10 February 1840.
4. Leonora Ann Haltiwanger, born 6 January 1836, died 26 November 1908, married George Adam Eargle, born 18 November 1831, died 8 September 1914, son of Jacob Eargle and Elizabeth Summer. Both buried Mt. Olivet Lutheran Church cemetery, Chapin, SC.
5. Jacob Smith Haltiwanger, born 18 January 1839, died 7 October 1913, married Ella Nancy Clark, born 1846, died 1929, daughter of Henry Basford Clark and Frances Fulmer. Both buried in Capers Chapel Methodist Church cemetery.
6. Joseph Luther Haltiwanger, born 28 April 1842, died 2 April 1934, married Polly Katherine Chapman, born 4 March 1841, died 11 March 1921, daughter of John Chapman and Mary Margaret Addy. Both buried Haltiwanger cemetery #1.
7. David Kelly Haltiwanger, born 10 November 1843, died 16 January 1926, married Christena Boney, born about 1848. Buried family cemetery.
8. Martha Caroline Haltiwanger, born 22 June 1846, died 12 March 1939, married J. Hilliard Summer, born 16 January 1850, died 6 June 1883. Both buried Haltiwanger cemetery #1.
9. Walter Orlando Haltiwanger, born 21 January 1849, died 1932, married Mary Brynhilda Clark, born 6 January 1859, died 6 January 1900, daughter of Henry Basford Clark and Frances Fulmer.
10. Nancy Ella Haltiwanger, born 3 December 1852, married John Andrew Shealy, Jr., born about 1853, son of John Andrew Shealy, Sr. and Mary Ann Caroline Sease.
FAMILY OF GEORGE HALTIWANGER
George Haltiwanger, born about 1755, died about 1821, married Mary Barbara Schmitz, born 16 October 1763, died 23 February 1858, possibly a sister of Dr. Henry F. Schmitz. In 1794, George Haltiwanger was a signer of the petition for incorporation for St. John's Church, Pomaria, SC. George Haltiwanger died about 1821 with H. F. Haltiwanger administrator of estate (Holcomb, Memorialized Records of Lexington District, SC, 1814-1825). Adminstration of estate was filed 29 November 1821.)
The family of George Haltiwanger lived at Chapin, SC. In 1841, two tracts of land at Chapin were sold by the Sheriff of Lexington County to Adam Haltiwanger (Lexington Deeds M-336 and 375). These were lands of Henry F. Haltiwanger who died without descendants, and a tract left by George Haltiwanger that had not been divided among the heirs. The heirs according, to both deeds, were: Mrs. Mary B. Haltiwanger; Andrew, Jacob, Adam, and Miley Haltiwanger; Simeon Miller and wife; and Andrew T. Haltiwanger. Andrew T. Haltiwanger, in these deeds, is presumably a grandson of George Haltiwanger and Mary Barbara Schmidt. He may have been Andrew T. Haltiwanger, born about 1825, who married Marinah Emily Shealy, born March 1830. This couple lived in Richland County. Who were the parents of this Andrew T. Haltiwanger?
A. Henry F. Haltiwanger, born about 1783, died before 1841. Did not marry.
B. Jacob Haltiwanger, born about 1785, died 28 Feb 1860 (74 yrs). Did not marry. Buried Haltiwanger Cemetery, Chapin, SC.
C. Miley Haltiwanger, born about 1787. Did not marry.
D. Andrew Haltiwanger, born 3 November 1789, died after 1860, married Ann Margaret Hamiter, born about 1792, died 1872. Ann Margaret Haltiwanger left her estate to Dianah Haltiwanger (a freed slave) for nursing her; also leaving to children of Adam Hamiter and Joshua McCartha.
E. Amelia Haltiwanger, born 3 October 1799, married Simeon Miller, born about 1794.
F. John George Haltiwanger, born about 1802, died about 1875. Nephew, Daniel J. Haltiwanger, was administrator of his estate (Newberry Estates 130-9). J. G. Haltiwanger lived in Newberry County. No record that he married.
G. Adam Haltiwanger, born 7 December 1803, died 3 December 1873 (age 69 yrs, 11 mos, 26 dys), married 12 February 1843, Harriet Priscilla Rhea, born 16 December 1821, died 23 June 1907, daughter of Jesse W. Rhea and Mary Eleazer. Both buried Haltiwanger Cemetery, Chapin, SC. Adam Haltiwanger had a 665 acre survey made on SE side of Chapin.
1. John George Haltiwanger, born about 1844, died 15 November 1864 at Mt. Jackson, VA (CSA).
3. Mary Caroline Haltiwanger, born 19 February 1848, died 12 January 1924, married December 1869, Jasper David Crockett Lever, born 3 April 1844, died 19 June 1934, son of William Lever and Kiziah Harmon. Both buried St. Jacob's Lutheran Church, Chapin, SC.
4. John Jacob Haltiwanger, born about 1851, married Mary Jane Clark, born 1856. Moved to Savannah, GA.
5. Andrew William Haltiwanger, born 18 July 1853, died 13 November 1921, married Elizabeth Caroline Hiller, born 5 November 1859, died 18 June 1937, daughter of Dr. Samuel Hiller and Sarah Mary Ann Kinard. Both buried in Mt. Horeb Lutheran Church cemetery, Chapin, SC.
6. Frances E. Haltiwanger, born 8 November 1855, died 8 October 1875. Buried Haltiwanger Family cemetery.
7. William Samuel Haltiwanger, born about 1857.