George Piester Family
The family of George Piester arrived in SC in 1752, coming on the Upton. Piester's name was given as George Pfister in his .S.C. bounty petition and at which time he had a wife and one child, about 2 yrs. old, also had his wife's mother. George Pfister was awarded a 200 acre bounty grant on Cannons Cr. This land was inherited by Casper Piester who sold in 1800 to Adam Piester (Nby Deeds F174).
According to tradition, George Piester was married to Eve Margaret Egmont. After the death of Piester, the widow remarried George Gray, Sr., son of Casper Gree. In 1796, Eva Margarette Gray, widow, gave a slave girl to son, Casper Piester (Nby Deeds C919).
Gasper Piester is referred to in old deeds as a miller. In 1795, Cosper Piester, Sr. bought land on Cannons Cr. from Frederick Gray (Nby Deeds C371). This land was the site of Peester's Mill (Mill's Map, 1825).
Gasper or Cosper Piester had surveys on Cannons Cr. in 1771 and 1773. The survey of 1771 was sold in 1798 by grantee to John Peister (Nby Deeds D162), presumably a younger brother of Gasper Piester. In 1786, Cosper Piester bought land on headwaters of Cannons Cr. from Thomas Hamilton (Nby Deeds A261). This land was sold in 1818 by Michael Pester to John Gallman (Nby Deeds M244).
I. Gasper Peaster, b. about 1750. After the death of his first wife, Gasper Peaster remarried the widow Egner. Rachel Peaster made will 14 May 1817, proven 13 Dec 1819, naming children by her first two husbands. Rachel Weyman was married three times with husbands:(1) Hans Jurg Suber; (2) George Egner, d. 1796; and (3) Gasper Piester.
A. Michael Piester, wife named Cynthia.
B. Adam Piester, m. Margaret Suber, d/o John Suber & wife, Barbara. Adam Peaster made will 9 Nov 1821, proven 9 Jan 1822. He left widow and children whose names are not given but a brother, Casper, is mentioned.
1. John Piester, b. 1809, d. 1888 (Winston Co., MISS), m. Elizabeth Thompson, b. 1812, d. 10 Apr 1837, d/o Henry Thompson & Hannah Wright; m. (2) Mrs. Frances A. Henderson, b. about 1824; m. (3) in MS, Louisa Warner, b. 25 July 1838, d/o Jacob Warner & wife, Mary.
C. Gasper Piester, Jr., b. 24 Apr 1790, d. 10 Jan 1833, m. Margaret Boozer, b. 7 Sept 1790, d. 3 July 1853, d/o Frederick Boozer & Mary Ann Barbara Gray.
1. Simon Peter Piester, b . 21 Oct 1812, d. 7 July 1837, bur. DeWaltGrayGallman Cemetery.
2. Elizabeth A. Piester, b. 8 Oct 1814, d. 6 Aug 1890, m. Nathaniel George Gallman, b. 21 Oct 1800, d. 16 Aug 1865.
3. Benjamin Piester, b. 22 Aug 1817, d. 4 Sept 1817.
4. Milton Piester, b. 30 Aug 1818, d. 18 Oct. 1818.
5. David Boozer Piester, b. 4 Oct 1819, d. 22 Aug 1873, m. Elizabeth A. Neel.
6. Jefferson Piester, b. 16 Sept 1822, d. 7 Jan 1825.
7. James Spencer Piester, b. 25 Oct 1825, d. 13 Dec 1862, Battle of Fredericksburg, V (CS).
8. Laura Piester, b. 4 Aug 1828, d. 21 Aug 1828.
9. Sarah Adeline Piester, b. 3 March 1830, d. 26 Dec 1900, m. Dr . Richard Pinckney Clark.
II. John Piester, m. Sarah (Saloma) Ruff, b. about 1769, d. 9 Sept 1861, d/o George Ruff and wife, Ann Barbara.
A. Elizabeth Piester, d. about 1839, m. George John Adam Hipp, b. 7 May 1797, d. 19 Apr 1855, s/o John Hipp & Susannah Margaret Summer.
B. John A. Piester, m. Sarah Sligh, b. about 1803, d. 6 Apr 1862, d/o John Phillip Sligh, Sr. & Christina Kinard.
1. Frances Christena Piester, b. about 1827, d. 21 Jan 1905, m. Louis Hutchinson, b. about 1820, d. after 1850.
2. Minerva Catherine Piester, b. 25 Jan 1830, d. 14 Apr 1861, m. George A. Riser, b. about 1825, d. 1865 (CSA), s/o John Riser, Sr. & Barbara Ann Zeigler.
3. John P. Franklin Piester, b. about 1833, d. after 1860, m. (1) 27 May 1852, Elizabeth (Betty) Catherine Stone, b. about 1830, d. Oct 1854; m. (2) Martha Frances Kinard, b. about 1840, d. after 1860.
4. Jacob Middleton Piester, b. about 1840, d. Oct 1864.
C. Sarah Piester, m. Jacob Riser.
D. Jacob Middleton Piester, d. 21 Jan 1827.
Nancy J. Piester, b. 14 Oct 1814, d. 3 Oct 1850, m. (1) Jacob Sligh, b. 19 March 1808, d. 26 March 1846; m. (2) 6 Oct 1848, Capt. George Neel.
Updated 28 December, 2000